• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRK or LASIK PLUS???

notacos4u

Rebellious Subject of New Yorkistan
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
The Imperial Control of New Yorkistan
I am scheduled to get laser eye surgery next Friday, currently PRK, and was wondering what everyone would recommend? I’m about to be 53yo and am sick of wearing glasses or contacts. I currently wear bifocals, yes I know I will still have to wear readers but I can deal with that for a small portion of the time, and it is just frustrating looking through the different portions of the lenses. Constantly getting dirty, fogging up, and scratching the lenses. I’d prefer to get the most up to date and best procedure available if I am going to do this.

Does anyone know what the difference is between regular LASIK and LASIK Plus?? Rifle hunting season is the third week of November and I do not want to have to sit out hunting season because my vision is still screwed up Healing from PRK. Why did you choose one version over the other? What was your deciding factors about the method you chose to go with? I have heard about the pros and cons of both:

LASIK: Quicker recovery and pretty near instantaneous results. Cons: cut a flap that may be dislodged if struck in the eye from contact sports.

PRK: no flap and the eye actually heals. Cons: longer recovery and more discomfort after the surgery.

As a side note, I did use the search feature and read the other threads on this. Thanks for all the advise ahead of time with the decision and route to go.

I had PRK many years ago. Yes it’s more painful and yes the recovery is longer. But it’s better for astigmatism and I had a slight issue with my cornea so it made sense.

Plus Mrs LuvDog… actually Dr LuvDog used to see all the patients who had the lasik flap come loose and all the issues with aftercare. So it was definitely PRK for me.

Reactions: notacos4u
I had Lasik damn near 20 years ago. I participated in combat sports and had plenty of blackeyes and stitches. Never had a problem with anything getting dislodged but I guess anything can happen. Didn’t even know it was a thing.

PRK about 11 years ago. Would do again. PRK because my lenses were too thin (FDA approved but didn't meet my Dr.'s spec).

Only recommendation is to have you right eye your "reader" eye for better scope/reticle use.

I had Lasik about 18-20 years ago. I had 20/900 vision.... Horrible. Ended up with 20/25 and that was along time ago. Much more sophisticated now. I need readers now (67), but that was expected.

PRK 12 years ago in Souix Falls, SD, six hours away. Thin lenses, horrible astigmatism. The Dr. that did my surgery teaches eye surgery.
Excruciating pain for about 36 hours. Eyesight gets better as the eyes heal. After 3 weeks vision is just about perfect.
Would do again.
I do recommend researching who is available and reading reviews.

I had PRK about 15 years ago. I was an AF flier, and at the time the AF would only let us fly boys get PRK due to flap dislodge under g load concerns (even though I was a heavy driver). I had astigmatism. Finally had to break down and get glasses again as the astigmatism slowly returned. And I've had dry eyes ever since the surgery. Have to use drops every morning, and sometimes in the middle of the night if I get up to piss or it stings like hell for a while. I think dry eye incidence is higher for PRK, or at least was then. Something to consider.

I had lasik three years ago, at 52yo. My vision before Lasik, was 20/800. My vision after Lasik is 20/20 left eye and 20/15 right eye. The doc adjusted the left eye for near vision and right eye for distance. It's awesome not having to deal with contacts and near reader glasses in the morning and at work and prescription glasses at night. I must say lasik is the best $4k I ever spent on myself. My best friend had PRK and several "adjustment" procedures and he has been very dissatisfied. Hopefully, your choice will work well for you.

You’ve only got one set of eyes. If glasses or contacts are working for you, don’t mess with them.

Check out the lasik complications websites before doing any surgery.

Retired OD. LASIK 15 years ago, when they were using the 'flap'. Considered it a modern-day miracle! Also co-managed LASIK patients with TLC. I never saw a flap come loose or slip or any other problem, other than edema or some cells proliferating beneath it, at the edges. Eye doctor at my last eye exam said that 'they only do PRK now'. Wanted an 'enhancement' done since vision was blurring. They won't do that due to insipient cataracts. Oh well. Point: You don't really want advice from laymen about eye surgery! You're paying for professional advice. Use it! (All due respect to Hide members!).

I had PRK in like 2003. Lasted about 8-10 years before I broke down and got glasses again.

Beyond the flap, the big difference, back then, was that PRK was able to get the laser to more of your eye because, at the time, the flap for LASIK couldnt be cut big enough. This may or may not be an issue anymore. When you heard about people who had night vision issues or what not, it was explained to me, it was because their pupil dilated out far enough in the dark that they were, in essence, "seeing" the tiny scar tissue created by the flap edges healing.

If you only have like 4-5 weeks until rifle season, honestly I would hold off until AFTER for whatever you choose just so you dont miss out due to any possible issues. When I had my PRK done, they would only do 1 eye at a time and it was I think 4 or 6 weeks between eyes. They will do them both at the same time(And would have then also) but you are basically immobile for like 1-3 weeks as the layer of your eye they remove grows back and is, again, in essence, a scab for a few weeks so your vision is very cloudy.

PRK 12 years ago in Souix Falls, SD, six hours away. Thin lenses, horrible astigmatism. The Dr. that did my surgery teaches eye surgery.
Excruciating pain for about 36 hours. Eyesight gets better as the eyes heal. After 3 weeks vision is just about perfect.
Would do again.
Note: 'Thin lenses' should read 'thin corneas'. PRK patients are given 'bandage' soft contact lenses. to be worn about 3 days, until the epithelium can regenerate beneath them, and cover the exposed nerve endings. I had one patient who insisted on taking these off(in the office), since his eyes felt fine after a day or two. That's when the excruciating pain began, and he could not put the lenses back in fast enough! I never had a patient who experienced anything but mild discomfort for a few days while wearing the CLs.

I too recommend research, taking the advice of your professional, and taking advice from laymen with a huge grain of salt!

Would do again.
PRK 15 years ago with the same guy, Vance Thompson.

20/20 to this day. What a blessing that guy was to me. Best money I've ever spent. Vance is a hunter. He knew how important my right eye was to my life, and told me so. The guy is legit. I'd go halfway around the world to see him if I needed something done with my eyes again.

Did both eyes at the same time. Can confirm that having someone scotchbrite your eyeballs and then laser beam them... takes about 3 days to stop feeling like someone poured gravel in there. It's not for people with a weak mental state. lol Anyone worth their salt can take it, and it's generally better, as they can control that laser to unbelievable precision.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
I had lasik done when I was 40, about 4 years ago now. Love it and have zero regrets. I. Finding myself to need reading glasses now, which I was told would happen before the surgery.

Doc

PRK. Just make sure that anesthetic drop actually lands in your eye.