• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pro "drug war" propaganda and the media...

Keyser Söze

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
With public opinion these days pretty much woken up and the majority of US citizens more or less universally against the drug war and realizing its not only an absolute failure, but a complete scam draining the tax paying public, for now trillions of dollars since its inception...

The gov't and media has seeminly have launched a propaganda campaign to get people in their favor in recent months. Anyone else noticed this? In just the past few weeks I have seen two new pro-"drug war" progams on cable tv, one about the texas "drug war" and another about the "drug war" in south America dealing with cocaine. I can't help but notice these type of programs are popping up more an more, no doubt to try to influence public opinion due to most Americans at this point in time opposing this ridiculous "war" that does nothing but hurt Americans and benefit the pocketbooks of most politicians and lobbiests.

What are other hiders thoughts about the current infiltration of the US media to propagate the so called "drug war"?

(hopefully this isn't considered too political to get deleted, but I fell its an issue than we should discuss, being the media is obviously taking sides and thrusting these propaganda programs down our throat recently in an obvious attempt to get people back on their side, despite the majority of the public being against it)

Re: Pro "drug war" propaganda and the media...

I'm still waiting for the Exit Strategy for the War on Poverty.

Haha! Well said, yet again, Mo Zam Beek.

To the OP. You have effectively oversimplified a complex problem.

This is a political post....which has been addressed already.

Check out this thread, it already contains my thoughts on this.

This is your face on drugs

you'll never win the drug war when the insurgents are the American public.alcohol prohibition didn't work and neither will anything else when there is public demand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you'll never win the drug war when the insurgents are the American public.alcohol prohibition didn't work and neither will anything else when there is public demand. </div></div>

Thats the bottom line. I dont see how this is in anyway a political question. Just that those who are frightened would like to label it so to "make it go away". They dont understand how much pain and suffering their lack of understanding causes. May as well try to convince a the other side that "Guns dont kill people, people kill people". They dont want to hear it, and functionally, cant.

Do you use caffeine?
Aspirin?
Beer,Wine, Liquor.
Cigarettes or any kind of tobacco including skoal?

Your a doper.

Does that mean I support drug abuse. Of course not, and I dont use them. I support the right of a free and self determining individual to make his own choices.

Bottom line it comes down to is it a question of being good or bad or is it a question of rights. Remember, the media will SELL ANYTHING it can for the money. It just finished selling 9/11, sold Casey Anthony, and will continue. War, any war is good business, and the war on drugs is no different.

But Keyser, posting that sort of question on here is like jumping into a den full of wolves. The wolves dont think, they just attack anything that is different or expresses an opinion they cant wrap their indoctrinated minds around. Its sad, but that is just human nature. I keep hopeing it will change, but unlikely.

Popcorn, anyone?

BTW, how do you get the two little dots over the O in your name? My keyboard doesnt have that feature.

I am trying to envision how productive our society would be with the drug of your choice available at every gas station in the nation.

We are on our way to eating ourselves to death while burning all those calories off watching T.V. instead of trying to hold a job, lets make pot legal, I'm sure that'll help.

There is a HUGE meth problem around here, most have given up on cooking it, now they are bringing it in from bigger cities. Guess what? None of the "dopers" seem to be able to hold a damn job, imagine that!? The number of thefts locally have gone through the damn roof, because these "would be productive if only drugs were legal" members of society need to feed their habbits.

I don't see the same being true of caffiene or aspirin, and arguably negligible from the other stimulants indicated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to envision how productive our society would be with the drug of your choice available at every gas station in the nation.

We are on our way to eating ourselves to death while burning all those calories off watching T.V. instead of trying to hold a job, lets make pot legal, I'm sure that'll help.

There is a HUGE meth problem around here, most have given up on cooking it, now they are bringing it in from bigger cities. Guess what? None of the "dopers" seem to be able to hold a damn job, imagine that!? The number of thefts locally have gone through the damn roof, because these "would be productive if only drugs were legal" members of society need to feed their habbits.

I don't see the same being true of caffiene or aspirin, and arguably negligible from the other stimulants indicated.

</div></div>

Reasonably stated. "Production trumps rights". Hmmmmmm. Thats how the entire drug war started...the Brittish wanted more "production" from the Chinese peasants they had subjegated, so they made opium illegal.

Not that Im suggesting that anyone use opium. Dumb choice, but should they be self supporting and otherwise honest and decent they should have the "right to their own choice".

Dont confuse apples and oranges. Put the thieves in jail. Let the ones who chose to live in squallor live in squallor. Thats their right.

If drugs were made legal would you go out and use them? Me, personally I would not. Also, I teach my children why drugs are not good for us. My children are 5 and 3. I know it seems early to teach something like drugs, but I don't think so. One day they will be around others that will try and influence their behavior and I want them to have a strong moral compass.

That being said I think the US could try what Portugal has done with illegal drugs. They are still outlawed on the books however, they no longer enforce the laws against people using them. The number of regular users held steady at less than 3 percent of the population for marijuana and less than 0.3 percent for heroin and cocaine — figures that show decriminalization brought no surge in drug use.

(source) http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12/26/portugals-drug-policy-pays-eyes-lessons/

I grew up under my parents rule.

Ironically, they told me I could do whatever the hell I wanted. They were never "dont do drugs, dont drink underage, dont have unprotected sex".

With so much freedom on the situation, i never did.
There was no "rebellious/taboo" need to do them.

Do I think that will work here in the states, maybe. It depends mostly on people's choice.

My experience in law enforcement,Tx Amy Natl Guard Couter Drug and now belonging to a Pain Management Practice, has shaped my opinion on drug use/ addiction. I believe individuals that choose to waste their lives addicted to drugs/ alcohol made conscious decisions to start using and usually went out of their way to get them. There will ALWAYS be a supply and it will ALLWAYS be available. I theorize that drug addiction can add bleach to the gene pool and it typically targets those that society would be better without.
The War on Drugs is a loosing proposition, but it sure is good business.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CeQdnivWRSE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CeQdnivWRSE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

My biggest concerns about the war on drugs is the collateral damage to our civil rights. The 4th Amendment is just about meaningless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The gov't and media has seeminly have launched a propaganda campaign to get people in their favor in recent months. Anyone else noticed this? </div></div>

No. Although, last night's "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" did seem to promote drug use among crack whores.... until she died.

To me the war on drugs and our current laws against them are no different then prohibition. The only people who benefited at the time where the crime syndicates. The only people who are benefiting now are the drug cartels and the government agencies who oppose them, everyone else is a big loser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me the war on drugs and our current laws against them are no different then prohibition. The only people who benefited at the time where the crime syndicates. The only people who are benefiting now are the drug cartels and the government agencies who oppose them, everyone else is a big loser.

</div></div>
Good thing there has been no deaths or social problems with alcohol. That is a great example. I think maybe the government should get more involved in drugs, maybe pass them out like condoms in school and teach the proper methods of shooting up so they won't pass on HIV or Hepatitis. All in the name of freedom and safety. Who cares if we breed in a whole new class of zombie.

Yeah I didn't want to bring up the whole issue of alcohol related crimes and accidents. There are consequences with any freedom and responsibility, simply need to instill more personal accountability into people, imho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I didn't want to bring up the whole issue of alcohol related crimes and accidents. <span style="color: #FF0000">There are consequences with any freedom and responsibility, simply need to instill more personal accountability into people, imho. </span> </div></div>

Well put. I did a paper in University on exactly that topic. That with "rights" come "responsibilities".....to use those rights in a careful and responsivlle way...or lose them. But its unfair to punish or prohibit something to the whole society, because a few misuse it.

I dont think that any of us would condone bringing back prohibition because a few misuse alcohol and cause traffic fatalities. The same should be true with any other thing.

Consider firearms. The libs want to ban them for all because of the reckless misuse of a few. Is that fair?

To use JRose's quote...If you can justifiably say that guns kill people then I can justifiably say that pencils mispell words, or that drugs kill people. Its just not the case. Irresponsible use of anything is what harms someone, not the objject itself. A 4000 lb cadilac parked in the driveway wont harm anyone til someone gets in it and turns the key.

i think all drugs should be legal, and free to anyone who wants them for 5 years..complete with needles and everthing..

we can call it the "weed out the week program" get rid of all the pieces of shit this country doesnt need without any deportation hearings, or prison terms

What most people don't understand is the fiscal impact drug use has on the taxpayer.

Want to make drugs legal? Sure, I'm all for it. Just don't provide or subsidize for housing, medical care, food, ambulance rides, attorneys, programs, psych care, medicines, drug paraphernalia etc., to drug users.

Just like I'm not for helmet or seatbelt laws....but if a person crashes without the proper protection then I don't want to pay or help subsidize their bill either.

I'd even go a step further and deny financial support to those who create their own hardships, ie: dialysis to the 500lb type II diabetic over-eater or the guy who smokes 5 packs a day and gets lung cancer. There are no surprises here. Why do I have to pay for your mistakes?

Greedy? Maybe. Accountable? Yes.

What we should do is....

Legalize all the drugs.

and

Legalize the ability to kill anyone in a zombie-like state, i.e. drug high.

Then we'll stop seeing topics about the two being created.
wink.gif

But in all seriousness I agree with Bowman. I'm not going to pay for additional domestic programs for a junkie, and I'm not going to support any legislation because my gut feeling is that someone will just use it to legalize another drug like heroin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What most people don't understand is the fiscal impact drug use has on the taxpayer.

</div></div>

Granted there is a price, but its only about 10% of the price of the drug war and its effects on society.

But Ill go with ya Bow. Lets just make everything illegal.

-Drugs
-Alcohol
-Guns
-Steakknives
-Obesity
-Cars that go over 60 mph (Like those Corvettes...I mean every one knows having the potential for all that spped will lead to abuse and we wouldnt want that.).
-Being gay
-Everything but missionary position_

Why we could just put everyone in a straightjacket and hook them up to an IV the day they are born. No rights, now responsibility, no freedom, bo way to hurt thenm selves. Hmmmmm

The Matrix

Or we can recognize that most people make reasonably responsible decisions concerning there own choices, and those that dont will fuck up one way or another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Granted there is a price, but its only about 10% of the price of the drug war and its effects on society.</div></div>

I will have to disagree....I would say the war on drugs is approximately 10% of the total drug related spending.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Where exactly did I say to make everything...or anything for that matter, illegal?

Don't get that liberal knee jerk thing goin' where you don't read a post before responding Maggot, LOL!

Just for clarity and reading comprehension I will simplify my above post.

Make everything legal. Don't make me pay for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I didn't want to bring up the whole issue of alcohol related crimes and accidents. <span style="color: #FF0000">There are consequences with any freedom and responsibility, simply need to instill more personal accountability into people, imho. </span> </div></div>

Well put. I did a paper in University on exactly that topic. That with "rights" come "responsibilities".....to use those rights in a careful and responsivlle way...or lose them. But its unfair to punish or prohibit something to the whole society, because a few misuse it.

I dont think that any of us would condone bringing back prohibition because a few misuse alcohol and cause traffic fatalities. The same should be true with any other thing.

Consider firearms. The libs want to ban them for all because of the reckless misuse of a few. Is that fair?

To use JRose's quote...If you can justifiably say that guns kill people then I can justifiably say that pencils mispell words, or that drugs kill people. Its just not the case. Irresponsible use of anything is what harms someone, not the objject itself. A 4000 lb cadilac parked in the driveway wont harm anyone til someone gets in it and turns the key.
</div></div>
Apples and oranges.
Illegal drugs heroin, meth, mushrooms, acid, etc. etc. do not have a positive social or economic benefit.
Firearms can and are used to protect the individual from bad people, bad animals, and during the revolution bad politicians. Cars and trucks for the most part are used for the good of the individual and the people to get to work, deliver products, provide emergency personnel fast response to accidents. I won't bother to answer the gay and sex issues

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Granted there is a price, but its only about 10% of the price of the drug war and its effects on society.</div></div>

I will have to disagree....I would say the war on drugs is approximately 10% of the total drug related spending.

</div></div>

Where exactly did I say to make everything...or anything for that matter, illegal?

Don't get that liberal knee jerk thing goin' where you don't read a post before responding Maggot, LOL!

Make everything legal. Don't make me pay for it. </div></div>

I read it, just "goin with ya" in the opposite direction. Dont be confused, Im in no way a liberal...nor conservative. I aim towards the truth in each situation...which generally is neither to the right nor left, but right around the center...balance.

I just like to mess wit cha, home.

For clarity, make everything illegal then there will be no cost beyond IV fluid.
grin.gif

In closing, and to quote the nefarious shankster....

fk-this-thread.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Make everything legal. Don't make me pay for it. </div></div>

I read it, just "goin with ya" in the opposite direction. Dont be confused, Im in no way a liberal...nor conservative. I aim towards the truth in each situation...which generally is neither to the right nor left, but right around the center...balance.

I just like to mess wit cha, home.

For clarity, make everything illegal then there will be no cost beyond IV fluid.
grin.gif

</div></div>

LOL! I see. I took "Ill go with ya" to mean that your interpretation of my post was to make everything illegal.

...and....HAHAHAHA! who's messin with who now? I got ya on the liberal comment
wink.gif

BTW....I don't want to pay for IV fluids either....ya hippy.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Apples and oranges.
Illegal drugs heroin, meth, mushrooms, acid, etc. etc. do not have a positive social or economic benefit.
</div></div>

Oh come now,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

I never believed in the "useage" of hemp for commercial things, until I was about 16 and playing paintball. I still have a pair of my "Smokin Outlast pants" that I used for playing competitively. I'm not gonna lie, hemp really does make a great product. These pants have withstood dozens of washings, sliding on astroturf/gravel/sand/ect, and various almost punctures. I'd honestly put in on par with kevlar as far as durability is concerned.

So yes, Hemp does have a social and economic benefits from a commercial perspective. However then theres the drug useage side of it too, where the good, gets outweighed by the minor bad...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Apples and oranges.
</div></div>

Oh come now,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

I never believed in the "useage" of hemp for commercial things, until I was about 16 and playing paintball. I still have a pair of my "Smokin Outlast pants" that I used for playing competitively. I'm not gonna lie, hemp really does make a great product. These pants have withstood dozens of washings, sliding on astroturf/gravel/sand/ect, and various almost punctures. I'd honestly put in on par with kevlar as far as durability is concerned.

So yes, Hemp does have a social and economic benefits from a commercial perspective. However then theres the drug useage side of it too, where the good, gets outweighed by the minor bad... </div></div>

Makes better paper than wood pulp and better rope than nylon, and more per acre per year. Also is a nitrate fixer....leaves more nitrogen in the soil than it takes out.

We could start with weed. It's the most used illegal drug used in the US. It would hurt cartels and drug dealers financially. If it was sold like cigarettes it could be regulated and taxed. If someone was smoking pot and doing some criminal activity it would be easier for the police to catch them because they could find them on the couch eating potato chips and watching tv. (BTW weed was outlawed not because people were getting high, but because it competed with cotton for making the same products and was an import from Mexico.)

I think it comes down to responsibility. If you want to consume to much alcohol and destroy your liver, good for you. However, if you don't have the means to get a new liver or dialysis don't make others pay for your mistakes and take responsibility for your actions. This should go for everything legal or illegal. Another example would be people who eat to much. Why should anyone else be responsible for their behavior? We shouldn't.

It should come down to personally responsibility. I believe this is something that has been lost in our country because the government is all to willing to relieve us of responsibilities and people are all to willing to have their rights trampled on.

(Disclaimer: I DO NOT DUE ILLEGAL DRUGS. Hell, I don't even like to take any drugs when I am sick.)