• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Probably a dumb question....

Dyer_MCSO

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Alright, so I have owned several rifles in my lifetime, but I have never re-barreled one, or had one built from the ground up or anything like that, so I know this is prob a dumb question, but I need the answer, so I am just going to embarrass myself and ask it....So I ordered this .308 spsv to start a new build, but then I decided to go in another direction, and thought I wanted to build a varmint rifle, so on a whim, when I went in to pick it up, I changed it to a .223 spsv, and now I am kicking myself in the nuts so hard. So my question is, what avenues do I have as far as making this a .308? Is it plausible? Or would it be much less of a hassle to just sell this .223, and go get a .308 and be done? I picked up this rifle 4/16...its still in the box, but I cant return it...understandably so, of course. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Re: Probably a dumb question....

Not a dumb question, everybody's got to start somewhere.

You'll have to at a minimum have the bolt face opened up and rebarrel for the .308. Then you'll be right where you'd be (or damn close to it)with a factory .308.

If it were mine and I wanted to build a .308 instead, I'd pick up one of the complete actions or barreled actions that crop up on the for sale forums pretty regularly. I'd probably also keep the .223 for varmiinting and whatnot. Not every job requires a 30 caliber, and the .223 is far less expensive than the .308.

I dont see why you cant ask them to exchange it for the 308 if you have not yet picked it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a dumb question, everybody's got to start somewhere.

You'll have to at a minimum have the bolt face opened up and rebarrel for the .308. Then you'll be right where you'd be (or damn close to it)with a factory .308.

If it were mine and I wanted to build a .308 instead, I'd pick up one of the complete actions or barreled actions that crop up on the for sale forums pretty regularly. I'd probably also keep the .223 for varmiinting and whatnot. Not every job requires a 30 caliber, and the .223 is far less expensive than the .308. </div></div>

+1

If they won't let you trade it back for the 308,
it might be good to shoot and enjoy the 223 while you slowly build a 308 the way you want...
Or see if someone wants to trade.....

It'd be easier to just trade it on a 308. The newest .223 actions have different feedlips than their larger boltface counterparts, so it ends up being a fairly involved process to make the change.

-matt

Thanks for the feedback. I did pick it up on 4/16. Its sitting in my closet, so i cant switch em. I think I will just try to sell/trade the .223, and pick up a .308 barreled action or spsv to build on.