• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Probably been asked before but would you have an caliber in between?

tarheel7734

Quiet Professional
Minuteman
  • May 25, 2014
    Asheville NC
    Lets say I want a 6.5 creedmoor for 1200 and closer and a .375 cheytac for elr. Would you also have something in between such as a 300 prc, 300 norma, 338 norma, or 338 lapua or just use the 6.5 and the .375? Lets say just for targets or ringing steel and maybe a bit of hunting.

300 PRC such as to get a little more placement insensitive for hunting and, personal opinion, 6.5CM energy falls off into the questionable range for big game fairly quickly as distance increases

funny enough I am trying to hoard every cal from the crazy tiny 2.7mm Kolibri , to the mighty (31.5 in) railway gun which in reality will never happen it just don't fit in my poor old yard though it would go nicely on blocks in the side yard :giggle: And every gun and round in between .

Where does it fall off enough to be ineffective?
    Depending on load, 6-800 yards is where it falls below 1000 ft lbs. No idea if it's realistic, but that keeps being quoted as "effective energy".

Realistically, I'll keep it 500 or less just based on flight time. Lots can happen in a second.

Reactions: tnichols
    338 Norma has been in my mind lately
    It’s a nice cartridge.
    Easy to load and fits magazines well.

For me it’s a 260(but I’d like to turn that into a 6BR or 6BRA possibly) a 7mm short mag and a 338 some flavor (I went 38 edge) to handle my current needs.