• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Probably just another Scope post but what would you buy?

JasonPaul

Competitor, Hunter, Mechanic and Family Man.
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2020
NJ
I’m building a new rifle and it’s time to pick a scope. I have the US Optics TS20 with the JVCR reticle on my starter rifle (TC LRR). I’m almost done building the new rifle, Curtis Custom Valor with quick change option, Bartlien & Hart Barrels waiting to be chambered (6.5cm+ 7 saum), Atlas PRS bipod, Woox Furiosa chassis for hunting and picked up a like new MDT ACC for PRS matches. Yada yada yada…

So now I’m looking to get a little or a lot more zoom and step it up into better glass. I was going to try the US Optics Foundation line but everyone I talk to at matches tells me to pick up a NF. What would the forum scope gurus suggest? Anything better then NF? I was thinking either buy a better scope or just use the TS20 and pick up a thermal scope for hunting.

Attachments

• AB903B72-D57B-4720-9736-1131C28611DD.jpeg
    AB903B72-D57B-4720-9736-1131C28611DD.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 61
Middle class = Razor GII, Bushnell XRS, Kahles 624, Leupold MK5HD
Lower Upper class = NF ATACR 5-25, Razor AMG
Middle Upper class= NF ATACR 7-35, S&B PM II, Kahles 525, March, Minox, Leica
Upper Upper class= S&B High Power, ZCO and TT.

Pick your poison. Only your wallet or spouse will limit you. I own a Razor G2, AMG and S&B PMII. I prefer my Razor 7 out of 8 matches a year I do on average.

The TS20 is a well made Japanese sourced optic.
I would expect it to perform like most other, well made Japanese optics.
There are better optics, there are worse optics.
There is also the TS25 to consider, still a decent Japanese made optics.
There are many folks that love the foundation series.
Once you hit the 1500 dollar mark, glass quality and coatings is what begins to separate the scopes, as most scopes in the 1500 dollar range and up offer excellent tracking with steel internals.
I live squarely in the middle class, I have an LRTSi, Chronus BRT and Sightron SV SSED, they all perform well, the SV SSED beats the others in the glass department, but it was a more expensive scope.
Trijicon ten-mile might be worth considering as well.
So, set your budget, figure out what the most important features are to you and buy the scope that checks the most boxes.

I like the TS20X a lot which is why I was considering the FDN25X for better quality all around and a zero stop would be nice. The biggest issue for me this year was the just average rifle. So next year I plan to compete in more matches and hopefully this fall shooting ELR a lot more for fun. I was really struggling around 800-1000 yards with my TC LRR but I kinda figured I would. I shot a custom built rifle the same day and had much better luck getting multiple hits on target. His glass seemed a little better but it was also a NF with 30x zoom so hard to compare with the little time I had behind his rifle.

I’m going to stick with USO since I like the JVCR reticle most but I have one question.

Has anyone used the internal Eye Level option with the US optics FDN 25x?

Just curious before I pull the trigger on one tomorrow afternoon if it’s annoying or worth having. It seems like it would be great but sometimes that ends up not the case.

I have recently spent range time behind the Nightforce 5-25 and 7-35 ATACR and the Kahles K525i on rifles that belong to others. That was a great experience and both are fantastic scopes. In the end, I chose a Kahles K525i DLR because I like the reticle and the turrets a bit better. At minimum, when you’re spending that kind of money, you need to road trip to whichever dealer has what you are interested in and see for yourself.

The USO Foundation series scopes are great. They just work and the JVCR reticle is perfect. Personally, the USO FDN performs better than the Nightforce ATACR series. You won’t be disappointed in the purchase. The internal bubble level is nice and works.

Reactions: JasonPaul
Yeah I made my mind up and I’m gonna order one today and give it a shot. I’m very happy with the TS20X so the Foundation should be a huge improvement and I’m loving the bubble level idea instead of using the side mounted Spuhr level I have. I was going to try a Green reticle but the store only has a red reticle JVCR instock with the bubble level and it’s a deal I can’t pass up. Although I’ve seen a lot of guys using a LED level which seems really easy and fast so there always that option. I was impressed with that gadget when I tried the nightforce scope out on amother rifle. 🤔

Yeah I made my mind up and I’m gonna order one today and give it a shot. I’m very happy with the TS20X so the Foundation should be a huge improvement and I’m loving the bubble level idea instead of using the side mounted Spuhr level I have. I was going to try a Green reticle but the store only has a red reticle JVCR instock with the bubble level and it’s a deal I can’t pass up. Although I’ve seen a lot of guys using a LED level which seems really easy and fast so there always that option. I was impressed with that gadget when I tried the nightforce scope out on amother rifle. 🤔

You will definitely notice a difference between the TS20 and the FDN25. Enjoy your purchase.

Reactions: JasonPaul
My favorite brown truck delivered my new toy US Optic FDN25X today! I mounted it on the new precision build and all I can say is hot damn… For one this scope is a tank, the bigger EREK knob is a huge improvement and overall it feels like it’s much better made. So for me this is a really really really nice upgrade over the TS20 and I’m excited to go zero and test this weekend.

But…. I have a major problem, the wife wants one for her gun. She started on my TC a couple months ago and has slowly roped herself into wanting better and as I finish my build she’s talking about building her own ELR rig now. She does spot for me most of the time which is good for me and the hobby. Anyone have a hook up? 😂 The shop I picked it up from only had one in stock which I got a killer deal on since the original order was cancelled and they kept it instock.

Reactions: stefan73