• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem--700BDL 30-06 sporter group jumps around

wbeard

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Ohio
Haven't been really using my 30-06 much these days since I got a 325WSM, but I decided to dust it off with some nosler 150g CT's and some 110g vmax's. Thought I'd set it up as a coyote killer. Well I decided to zero it with the 150g CT's and then just map the different zero point for the 110g vmax's. To my surprise, and about 40 rounds later I was still unable to zero. it would group, and then the whole group would bump 5-8 inches up or down. Very little side to side...in fact so little I would say shooter enduced but the vertical hopping around has me baffled. Wouldn't even be between strings. it would plug 2, 3, or 4 in a nice nickle at 100 yards then the 5th may drop 8 inches and the first couple of the next string would group with it. Then the group would jump up some random amount and hang there for a while.

This happened with both loads.

Any Suggestions??

Re: Problem--700BDL 30-06 sporter group jumps around

Need more info... scope? is the barrel free floated? Have you checked your mounts and rings? what you were using for a rest?

Buddy of mine had problems with his Rem 700 .270 with $1400 Leupold scope. (he is a hunter and does not really target shoot that much) He ask me to take a look...Groups all over the place random as hell, somtimers missing the whole 18"X18" target! I checked everything and all was good, barrel not touching stock, no dents in crown. etc..had me baffled, put my scope on his gun and shot 5 1" groups back to back, he sent the scope off to Leupold and when he got it back it shot the same 5 1" groups scope was messed up (jumpy crosshairs)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HANDYMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... scope? ... Have you checked your mounts and rings? </div></div>

#1 and 2 most likely reasons (assuming your shooting was on par)

Finbox might be on to something. shoot a group. Take a screwdriver (10-12") and rap the scope over the crosshairs. Shoot a group. Did poi change? If so send back for warranty. If you need the rifle soon rap scope after each adjustment until Zeroed. Then when you have time warranty.

Also check your scope mount screws. I had an issue with an R700 with a "long" screw bottoming out against the barrel in the most forward hole and thus sticking out too far and, by happenstance the scope ring was set in the groove where that screw was. The screw was not holding down the mount at all and it was acting as a bridge between the barrel and the scope ring. It would shoot tight groups at some times and jumped all over the place others. Took me forever to figure it out. Once I got the right length screws in the right holes, all was fine.

Thanks. I'll Disassemble the scope mounts and build it all back up and try again.

If it still messes up I'll swap out the scope.

I just don't want to spend $ floating a barrel and recrowning if the barrel's shot out.

How quickly are you shooting these five round groups? Since its a sporter barrel, you may have gotten the barrel too hot. Hot sporter barrels often experience a shift in POI.

After thinking about it,...it was just the excuse I needed. Decided to have my smith float, bed, recrown, and put a brake on it. LOL...brake on a 30-06 but what the heck, If I'm recrowning I might as well. I also disassembled all scope mounts and re-assembled. I have my 20yr old rings on that scope so I'll probably swap those out.

I'll let you know in about a month. Crossing my fingers the barrel isn't the prob, but actually only about $100 of these repairs are lost if I have to replace the barrel.