• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem ejecting .308 spent cartridges out of barand new model 10 Savage

stallion636

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2013
I am having problems ejecting one particular brand of ammo out of my action. Once the shells have been fired and I release the bolt and try and disengage the bolt and eject the bolt is stuck in the forward position. I can cycle unspent/loaded shells through the action flawlessly meaning that my chamber must be tight. This is only happening with one type of ammo (Sellier & Bellot) that I have shot out of it. My gun cycled the cheap ass American Eagle made by federal perfectly. Obviously the case is expanding when fired causing this problem but why is one brand working flawlessly and the other not so good when they are both new brass?

Assuming that your rifle be ok, we must focus the cause on the ammo_
If one brand of ammo works ok, should be ok_
If one brand of ammo don't works neatly...Please, make your own conclusions, Watson_

Last edited:
I would worry that you are pressure spiking with that ammo, could be hot loads, could be the size of chamber with the bullet jamming into the lands. I had a similar issue with me match chambered .308 and some loads that were a hair long.

I would worry that you are pressure spiking with that ammo, could be hot loads, could be the size of chamber with the bullet jamming into the lands. I had a similar issue with me match chambered .308 and some loads that were a hair long.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look for pressure signs as stated above: hard to eject; cratered primers; flat primers; split cases; holes in primers; gas leaking around primers;

Note that the first serious sign of pressure problems is a stuck cartridge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look for pressure signs as stated above: hard to eject; cratered primers; flat primers; split cases; holes in primers; gas leaking around primers;

All of the above seem like logical answers and the easiest fix for this problem seems to be don't shoot that ammo anymore. Given it is a brand new gun.

This is my first post as well. I am a new member. I am sure you all will be hearing from me again.

Thank you.

Aside their quality and chamber/headspace issues, often .308 HUNTING loads can be quite hotter than average 7,62 military average loads_
this, if coupled with factory brass slightly low at the shoulder and/or debatable brass, can reserve some surprise, sometimes_
Some brands are inclined to pleasure hunters and others with heavier loads of faster powder : the ballistic perfomances can APPEAR good, as the speed of the bullet, (w.proprtionally less powder needed)... enough said

I had the same problem with S&B ammo in a single shot .223 I used to have. S&B and the cheap Wolf ammo both would get stuck, all other ammo ran fine. Could be thin brass.

...you're on point...
about SB, don't seems to be something about the "width" of the brass sheet , but more something about the metallurgical components of the same brass, not-so-thin to see, and even "looking good"_ in appearence_
(low percentage of the higher-cost copper,in my opinion)_

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes,, check for pressure signs, check your cartridge OAL, if its a nato round it might not fit right and work in your chamber,, and im talking about the shoulder of the case. just saying,

My Savage .308 has a tight chamber with the lands close to the throat. I have to resize my cases on the short end of the spec (even a little under using a case gage) to be able to easily close the bolt on them and if I load too long (much longer than 2.800" / depends on Ogive of the particular bullet I am using) the bullet is in the lands which can cause a pressure spike and cause the brass to stick. I suggest you measure your chamber length and then check the S&B ammo Ogive length to see if it is simply too close to the lands. Simply measuring cartridge OAL will not tell you this... (or just avoid this ammo).

Well now I am back at the range again with federal ammo and I am experiencing the same problem agaon . Is it possible that Savage is making the tolerances in their chambers that tight?

You might try cleaning your chamber as was suggested to me. Helped with my sticking issues a bit when I first started chasing them down. (something I had overlooked as I was really just cleaning the barrel).

Well now I am back at the range again with federal ammo and I am experiencing the same problem agaon . Is it possible that Savage is making the tolerances in their chambers that tight?
it's even possible the opposite : that a rifle, having tolerances too much large (e.g. about the headspace), let the brass grow excessively, stretching the same brass in any direction allowed from those tolerances so in excess that the brass could grow well over the norm, etc.etc._
Keep the spent brasses ( of all the brands tested) and measure their before/after dimensions, or ask to some knowledgeable shootin'buddy to measure them for you w.the proper tools_

I have a bolt action 22lr that I was having problems with not extracting. I cleaned the chamber and haven't had any problems since. Perhaps the S&B brass is softer which allows it to stretch further on the first firing. This would account for only one brand of ammo having a problem.

Look for marks on a case that came out with normal effort. You might want to polish the cartridge first, shoot it, extract, and post a picture. If you have one that is tight but came out without having to ram it, post the side view plus the base (primer) pictures. I think you are going to find the shoulder area or upper part of the case is rough.

The extractor is the problem. It is crap. Get a stronger spring and a larger ball and it should help.