• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes problem with 20Moa base zeroing to 100 yds

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Ok... I have this target scope with a very limited 40 Moa total travel . It is mounted on a 20 Moa base . While trying to boresight it with the laser at home at 50 yds to make paper before leaving for the range ,I encountered that the 20 Moa base will allow the scope to sight down to 50 yds but it will be with its last 3 clicks before hitting the down elevation stop travel . I think that being so close to the extreme travel stop is going to be problematic and I should replace the 20 Moa base with a regular one . Am I right on that assumption ? My shooting will be 100,200 and 300 yds , tops . Please, I need to know so I can order the new base ... many Thanks

Re: problem with 20Moa base zeroing to 100 yds

Wy not shoot in at 200 and hold under at 100.. it yust spiting distans and about 0.4 mil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gaup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wy not shoot in at 200 and hold under at 100.. it yust spiting distans and about 0.4 mil </div></div>

I have to align the reticle with the bore , first. Being mounted on a 20Moa Base , the reticle is way down . Since the scope has only 20Moa up and 20Moa down (I know, it is pain) when I align the scope with the bore , the scope elevation turret travel goes almost all the way down , minus the 3 last clicks , because the reticle has to go up to meet the bore . I think that it is too close to the extreme travel stop .

If your only going to shoot to "300 yards tops" then yes, put a 0moa base on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your only going to shoot to "300 yards tops" then yes, put a 0moa base on it. </div></div>

Could not agree more. No need for a 20MOA rail for that distance.

You don't need it for 300, but you already have it, so shoot it and see what happens, I'm sure you know boresighting doesn't often reflect exactly, or even all that close to, where rounds will impact.

I agree with trying what you have to verify what it actually does on paper
before assuming anything. I have never had a problem achieving a hundred
yard zero with any of my 20 base set ups.

Since the range is 43 miles away from me , I don`t want to waste driving to get there and finding out that the damn thing can not achieve zero and having to head back 86 miles round trip in a bad mood .
I am also concerned that the Elevation`s turret is just 3 clicks before the end stop , and that is with the red dot , which I know is good only for making paper so if I need some more adjustment I am toasted .
Having analized the whole thing and because the scope has only 40 Moa total at 100 yds(20 Moa up and 20 Moa down) , I realize that with the 20 Moa base mounted I had to use all of the scope adjustment to get the reticle up close to the bore , so there is really no way to work out the problem without replacing the base .
I just ordered a O Moa base . I will cost me another $40 but , hell , I will use it on another scope or future rifle

Update : I got the 0 Moa base today . It was perfect and only had to move the reticle a few clicks to the right to hit the boresighter laser dot on windage ... Elevation was almost dead on , one or two clicks . Now I have abundant adjustment for every side and windage .
Next : the range , to sight in for real .