• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with .308 Case mouth being resized large

protoolsnerd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2011
South Florida
Hi Guys,
I'm working with a set of Redding competition bushing dies and for some reason i can't get it to resize the neck of my rounds correctly

The inner diameter is about .310 as opposed to .300 or even .299 "

and the outter diameter is .350 instead of .343 " as is in one of my reference books.

I've followed reddings instructions to a T but i can't figure this out at all. So of course that leads to my round just falling right in instead of being able to seat it correctly .

I upgraded my setup from some stand lee carbide dies and i'm anxious to get them working right .

I'm using all once fired federal premium brass , cci 200 primers , Reloader 15 ( 42.8 gr ) and berger 168 gr VLD bullets .

Any help?

Also i'm noticing that they don't need to be resized. My old digital caliper was bunk so i got a nice analog one and the brass is coming in at just under 2.005" . Mind you they are still only 1nce fired from the factory .

HELLLLLP

Aaron S

Re: Problem with .308 Case mouth being resized large

OK, maybe I missed it - is there a bushing in the die?

Yes there is , i bought the compete set of the competition bushing dies . Including the bushing neck die , full body die, and competition seating die

what size bushing are you using?

I have it here now, which specific part is the bushing you're referring to ? Do i need to buy another part on top of the whole kit itself ?

I'm assuming it's the part between the die body and the decapping rod, it say 308 win B/NK

SON OF A!!! So i need another part on top of this to get the desired ... outer diameter i'm assuming

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what size bushing are you using? </div></div>

whichever bushing came with the die set .

The once fired federal premium brass was fired in your gun?

The .350 neck diameter for a fired case is pretty excessive.

Use the Lee die to size a case, then seat a bullet in it, take that outter diameter of the neck less .002-.004 for the bushing size you will need to get.

The die set does not come with a bushing. You need to measure a loaded case at the neck (with my Win brass, I'm getting around .333") and subtract what you want for neck tension (in my case .003") and order that bushing. Using my example, I ordered a .330" bushing.

Once you get the bushing, unscrew the decapping assembly, insert the bushing, and re-install the decapping assembly by screwing it in till it bottoms out on the bushing and back it off 1/16 of a turn (per the instructions). Back it off more if you want to resize a smaller length of the neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The once fired federal premium brass was fired in your gun?

The .350 neck diameter for a fired case is pretty excessive.

Use the Lee die to size a case, then seat a bullet in it, take that outter diameter of the neck less .002-.004 for the bushing size you will need to get. </div></div>

I'm getting .350 outer diameter and .300 inner diameter .

The once fired brass was indeed fired from my gun ( rem 700 action 26" heavy varm barrel , b&C stock, R&D precision bottom metal and muzzle brake )

Ahhh i see i see. No wonder ...Glad i got the right info. Now i'm also finding that it doesn't need trimming . Seems to be at 2.001" .004" less then the recommended trim length . Now i know after multiple firings i'll have to trim, But is that normal ? Mind you my action and barrel are both stock

The base diameter of the Berger bullets i'm going to use are .300 so i'm looking for an inner diameter of between .002 and .004 less to grip onto it . So what bushing do you think would achieve that reduction on the interior ? Or do i need to reduce that even further ?

So i guess at this point i just need to know what a decent desired neck tension is if the largest diameter at the base of the Berger projectile is .300"

How much less then .300" do i want to go for optimal match rounds ? So by that logic i just subtract that from .300 " ( my inner diameter ) and subtract the same from my outer diameter ( .350" ) and buy the corresponding bushing .

Most people, me included, only want about .002" - .003" down size neck tension. If your bullet is .308" diameter the ID of the case needs to be .304" - .302". You also need to measure the wall thickness of your cases or turn the neck of the case to a specific wall thickness to determine which bushing you need. I believe Redding's website has instructions on how to select a bushing.

I'm seeing the term loaded case around. just as another piece of info , the outer diameter of the federal premium factory rounds that i'm shooting to get the brass i use is .340" .... Giving me a +.010" difference in the once fired and the factory .

Is that what is meant by " loaded " . Or is there another meaning . Obviously i don't have any of this current brass loaded .

I would suggest reading the reloading stickys at the top of the forum and the instructions that came with your dies

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: protoolsnerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm seeing the term loaded case around. just as another piece of info , the outer diameter of the federal premium factory rounds that i'm shooting to get the brass i use is .340" .... Giving me a +.010" difference in the once fired and the factory .

Is that what is meant by " loaded " . Or is there another meaning . Obviously i don't have any of this current brass loaded . </div></div>

Do you still have the Lee full-lenght die?
Use it to make a dummy round, case & bullet (No powder or primer) to get the outside neck diameter.
If you know for sure it is .340 then you need a .336 or .335 neck-bushing for your die (I would use the .335 neck-bushing).

Test round with the lee dies has a neck diameter of .340" just like the factory round

Just curious , if i'm looking for .002 or .003 worth of tension , wouldn't i got for 338 or 337?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: protoolsnerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Test round with the lee dies has a neck diameter of .340" just like the factory round

Just curious , if i'm looking for .002 or .003 worth of tension , wouldn't i got for 338 or 337? </div></div>

Yes

"Test round with the lee dies has a neck diameter of .340" just like the factory round"

Sounds like your necks are about 16 thou no matter how you size 'em!