• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with Bolt over case with AI mags

vprtoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
lake titicacca
Need some help please

Started to have trouble during a match last week with this

Never had an issue before

So I adjust my feed lips on the mag and the last case in the mag is still getting Bolt over case
Had the gun for about 4yrs

So question for you:
could I have over adjusted the AI mags (its going into my GAP that has B.O. bottom metal ?

Did I trash my AI mags by bending the feed lips ?
What should I do ?
Thanks

Re: Problem with Bolt over case with AI mags

Is the last round not being pushed up enough? Or maybe just the rear of the round isn't rising like it should? Sounds like a spring issue.

If the last round is pushed to the very top of the mag then the mag must not be high enough.

I took my firing pin out to see what is going on and tested it

it was the first round of 5....so I pinched the lips in a bit

now its the last case

Not a problem until now and its doing the same on the 10 round mag as well

Maybe bottom metal or the Mag spring ?

Just a guess but could the mag catch be worn down.
The mag spring might be getting weak, but to have the same problem w/ 2 mags says its someting else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crshep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a guess but could the mag catch be worn down.
The mag spring might be getting weak, but to have the same problem w/ 2 mags says its someting else. </div></div>

I'm with ya on this one ...

Do you know what the proper fix for this one is

and thank you sir

Perhaps the bottom metal was not installed correctly and you are only now finding out? That magazine should be sitting up as close to the bolt body as possible with the feed lips almost touching. When you pull the bolt back and check the alignment with the next round, is a healthy chunk of the bolt face making contact with the rear of the cartridge? How close is the bolt face to the feed lips: as close as possible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps the bottom metal was not installed correctly and you are only now finding out? That magazine should be sitting up as close to the bolt body as possible with the feed lips almost touching. When you pull the bolt back and check the alignment with the next round, is a healthy chunk of the bolt face making contact with the rear of the cartridge? How close is the bolt face to the feed lips: as close as possible? </div></div>

well for 1143 rounds Zero problems and now it's gone south on me so ya it was intstalled correct ( barrel has an arrow on it)

something else is up
however ya it should be sitting a bit higher to make more contact with the next case to be feeding proper

How can I make it move up just a little ?

good thinking
thanks

How close is the bolt face to the feed lips: as close as possible? [/quote]

It seems to be close....

Bottom metal seems to be solid, when I removed action from stock to clean the trigger and check things out

I had one AI mag out of four that the round/s sat a tad lower and would get an occasional mis-feed like you described. I VERY slightly opened up the feed lips of my AI mags and they have never missed a beat.

Look at the end of the short video and you can see how the rounds sit in the magazine.

AI mags

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxHh-qnI30A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxHh-qnI30A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

How old is the rifle and your best guess how many rounds through it?

But ya that sounds like the typical match catch being worn down over time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How old is the rifle and your best guess how many rounds through it?

But ya that sounds like the typical match catch being worn down over time. </div></div>
Brand new had it about 3 plus years and about 1200 rounds

First thanks

laugh.gif
Second Anyone know of a way to fix the mag catch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

it was the first round of 5....so I pinched the lips in a bit

now its the last case

</div></div>

It sounds like you needed to bend them out a little and not in.
Here's a thread about it also
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2577658

I'll try it however it also isn't "catching" the bottom of the case enough so it then hangs up and we have ourselves a bolt over situation

I'll try tweek'n it out this time

Use a small crescent / adjustable wrench for mag lip adjustment. You can snug up the jaws on the mag lip and bend it without marring it.

to me, the long term solution is remove the DBM + inlet it deeper, make it work with any mag instead of jacking with the $$$ mags, When AI designed the magazines they did not pull the angle of the feed lips out of their prison purse, you will soon find the top round popping out when you seat the magazine on an open bolt, if a few thousands wear on the latch is causing malfunctions a new latch may soon do the same

if the cartridge begins to move forward and is then over ridden, inlet the front of the DBM proportionally more than the rear(change the feed angle)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to me, the long term solution is remove the DBM + inlet it deeper, make it work with any mag instead of jacking with the $$$ mags, When AI designed the magazines they did not pull the angle of the feed lips out of their prison purse, you will soon find the top round popping out when you seat the magazine on an open bolt, if a few thousands wear on the latch is causing malfunctions a new latch may soon do the same

if the cartridge begins to move forward and is then over ridden, inlet the front of the DBM proportionally more than the rear(change the feed angle) </div></div>

Its sheetmetal, not rocket science. I have 5 or 6 AI mags. All varied somewhat by eye and by sweeping a dial indicator over a loaded magazine checking height. I simply made sure all of mine were the same and checked all of them in my gun. You are not moving the feed lips much at all. Very simple to do. AI mags are top shelf but like all things made it has tolerances as well.

Well I took some very fine sandpaper to the feed
Lips and took the action out of the stock cleaned the trigger
And boo yah. Mags work (for now)

Thanks to all for the info guys!!!
How do you replace mag catch?
Send me a pm if ya got any other ideas

This fixed my issues as well! Thumbs up! this is why I love this forum.