• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with case of 6mm dasher

wzjltx

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2020
Texas
I just jumped into the dasher cave. But now I have jammed at the first step, the brass case.

0dad71039e3d1d4550bf6a7822bdaea.jpg

This is a brand new Alpha 6 dasher OCD brass case. I am feeling very hard but I can still push the case by the bolt with the Hulk power.

I loaded 85 rounds (17 different load data * 5) without resizing the brand new case because these cases are brand new, and I am a newbie of 6 dasher. I think the case should be good and it must be my fault.

After 85 rounds, the best ES is 13, and the worst is 33. It is okay....but I am playing 6 dashers, right? It should be lower than 6.

I measured these cases after I go back home, the fired case has the same size as a brand new case. Usually, the fired case will have a little bigger than before, right? That means the case has no space for expansion if the size is the same, even a little space, right?

Maybe my rifle has a problem? Maybe, but I ordered Peterson 6 dasher cases, I want to try it again. I was shocked.

6ff18bcff6a2e5e84d9c1db99330b18.jpg

This is a brand new Peterson 6 dasher case. I can easy to push the case by the bolt with baby power.

I know the 6 dasher does not have the SAAMI standard, but which one is right? the Alpha or Peterson? of course I can resize the Alpha but I just want to confirm that before I do it.

Forget about what “should“ be happening just because it’s a dasher. Basic reloading concepts still apply. If the brass is a jam fit, it needs to be resized, bumped, whatever you want to call it. Based on your reported measurements, let’s start at 1.223” and see if the bolt closes without resistance, or shoot the Peterson and then measure the once fired case and use that minus 2-4 thousandths.

You will likely see the es come down a little with once fired brass (new brass rarely gets the best es/sd stats). However, getting an ES down around 6, over any number of shots that is even remotely representative (10?), is going to take absolutely expert+ level reloading skills and equipment…and like Dthomas said, might not even be realistic at all.

Don‘t worry about what SAAMI says or doesn’t say, same with your buddy, same with some guy on the hide, etc. you are in wildcat territory. Your measurements, observations, and target results are the only relevant data for your rifle.

Need more than one firing on the cases. What's your load? And is English your first language?

English is not my first language. I tried 32.3-32.8(+0.1) gr 105 Berger Hybrid, 32.3-32.9(+0.2) gr 109 Berger Hybrid and 32.3-32.9(+0.2) gr 108 Hornady ELD-M. The powder is Varget.

Last edited:
Forget about what “should“ be happening just because it’s a dasher. Basic reloading concepts still apply. If the brass is a jam fit, it needs to be resized, bumped, whatever you want to call it. Based on your reported measurements, let’s start at 1.223” and see if the bolt closes without resistance, or shoot the Peterson and then measure the once fired case and use that minus 2-4 thousandths.

You will likely see the es come down a little with once fired brass (new brass rarely gets the best es/sd stats). However, getting an ES down around 6, over any number of shots that is even remotely representative (10?), is going to take absolutely expert+ level reloading skills and equipment…and like Dthomas said, might not even be realistic at all.

Don‘t worry about what SAAMI says or doesn’t say, same with your buddy, same with some guy on the hide, etc. you are in wildcat territory. Your measurements, observations, and target results are the only relevant data for your rifle.

Yes, you are right. Nothing “should“ be happened.
Thank you for your idea. I will try it~~~

I would prefer to use the alpha myself. I hate peterson but I doubt too many would back me on that.
I also like that the alpha comes to what I believe to be sized appropriately. I would much rather have to size it .001" than to have it stretch .007 on its first firing.

I use the c bushing in my comparator normally but I just went and put in a d bushing and I got 1.225 on my sized brass and 1.228 on my fired so you look to be in the ball right ball park, nothing too egregious.

I would also ensure that its the shoulder length thats causing your interference and not a diameter or bullet jamming.

I hope I can.....
You won't. That's not feasible, I doubt it's possible, and most importantly - it's not needed. If you keep your SD below 10 you're doing just fine.

I would prefer to use the alpha myself. I hate peterson but I doubt too many would back me on that.
I also like that the alpha comes to what I believe to be sized appropriately. I would much rather have to size it .001" than to have it stretch .007 on its first firing.

I use the c bushing in my comparator normally but I just went and put in a d bushing and I got 1.225 on my sized brass and 1.228 on my fired so you look to be in the ball right ball park, nothing too egregious.

I would also ensure that its the shoulder length thats causing your interference and not a diameter or bullet jamming.

I back you on that.

Thank you. Sure, I will resize the alpha case. Actually, I felt the case size is not good before I played the 1st round, but I think the "famous brand and brand new" should be right. I should trust real data, not the brand.

Reactions: spife7980