• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with dented necks

dreamlander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
North Dakota, USA
A lot of the 6.8 spc silver slate brass I bought has some severe dents on the neck. Even some of the Lapua brass I have for other calibers has the same problem. The problem is I have no way to fix them with the equipment I have. I use Redding competition die sets. If you are not familiary with these, there is a neck resizer, FL sizer, and bullet seater. None of which have anything to ream the inside of the neck out like I have seen on most FL sizer dies. And the neck sizer obviously does no good to fix them. So I need something to ream the inside out.
Any suggestions besides buying another FL die?

Re: Problem with dented necks

If they are bushing dies they wont work for your problem, but if the F/L die uses a mandrel, it will round out your necks and pop those dents out...you may be prone to split necks afterwards though.

I know the bushings won't fix the problem, and the FL dies have no mandrel, they are wide open. The only other thing I could think of was to load a bullet, then pull to see if it shaved the jacket.

Maybe pick up a 6.8 die w/ a mandrel from Lee or someone for cheep?

You could do a caveman approach. use a phillips head screwdriver and hand bend it carefully. Seat a boat tailed bullet and fire form it. It'll be circular then.

What you're looking for is an expanding mandrel. As I recall, the Redding S-Type bushing dies are furnished with an expander stem.

I use a crimped dummy round and stick the bullet in the bent necks, then size. Little flaring occurs in the mouth that way.

Another option could be a Sinclair International expander die. There are two and they use interchangeable mandrels from 17-338 and 35-50 respectively.

Case trimmer mandrels of the correct diameter will work for that as well. If you have a manual trimmer, you can chuck the case and ease it over the mandrel to get back in business.

Picked up the sinclair expander die with mandrels for all my cases. Exactly what I was looking for, and they also had a headspace gauge sized for 6.8 spc. Killed two birds...
thanks for the replies