• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with *DPMS type* .308 build

-Time-

Mediocre Marksman
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
so I've got this *DPMS style* build, Aero precision upper, lower, bcg, Raptor/AXTS charging handle, proof research barrel.

Test fired, its got ~40 rounds through it, no problems there. I went to mount a scope today, and checking the chamber I noticed chips on the barrel extension lugs.

The biggest thing that that struck me, is that the chips aren't all on the same side, I would've assumed a canted barrel was the problem, but when I put upward pressure on the bolt carrier from where a mag would be, or downward pressure on the tail of the carrier, it impacts the chip spots perfectly, which suggests to me that either the upper rails are too big, or the bcg is too small.

whats y'alls take on this? Anyone seen anything like it?

Your opinions/experience would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• photo70071.jpg
    photo70071.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Why does your barrel extension appear to have rounded lug spaces ? ....( sorry, I am not sure of the correct term )

Are you sure you didn't get a DPMS GenII barrel extension ?

I believe your Aero Bolt has squared off lugs.... I am no expert.. but my Criterion and OEM PSA GenII both have "square" lugs.... both on the BCG and barrel extension.

The SECOND photo shows what I mean ... ( because I am a dumbie .. )

And the first photo shows a DPMS Gen II BCG on the left...

Attachments

• photo70183.jpg
    photo70183.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 7
  • ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...png
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...png
    159 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Why does your barrel extension appear to have rounded lug spaces ? ....( sorry, I am not sure of the correct term )

Are you sure you didn't get a DPMS GenII barrel extension ?

I believe your Aero Bolt has squared off lugs.... I am no expert.. but my Criterion and OEM PSA GenII both have "square" lugs.... both on the BCG and barrel extension.

The SECOND photo shows what I mean ... ( because I am a dumbie .. )

And the first photo shows a DPMS Gen II BCG on the left...

The Bcg lugs are square

It does look like they're a bit rounded, but it doesn't seem to be as drastic as the gen2 lugs. I wouldn't think they were gen2 lugs, as proof's website only references Dmps pattern, nothing about gen2

My view is this.

1. Either the Barrel extension and bolt are not compatible I would place a call to Proof research and Aero precision to confirm
2. The Upper is out of spec?
3. recheck the gas tube to make sure it is not bent or binding against the barrel nut.