• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Problem with having nice high end scope

I just got a used Minox ZP5 5-25 MR4 from the PX and I'm definitely feeling that. Have been using an old NXS non zero stop in MOA a while and even that is no longer exciting to get behind now.

Reactions: dzander
Shoot PRS with them and beat the shit out of them but just tell your self that’s what there meant for. You can buy a decent car for what most of my scopes cost and I’m banging then against barricades and pipes. But hell its fun

I've owned up to Gen II Razor level and looked through Premiere and S&B.

While I appreciate the higher end glass I'm actually perfectly happy with Bushnell DMR II level optics and have several of them along with the Gen II Razor plus a couple of LRTS scopes currently.

I am picky about glass because of photography. I miss my S&B and Kahles. The current Nightforces can't really compare, but they also don't disappoint me at all. I am still content getting behind my little fixed 10x SWFA honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinW
Sins of the past!

It's taken me a year or so but have finally got rid of all the lesser scopes I'd bought over the last decade.
The technology has improved so much in the last few years that scopes that were good options 5-10 years ago are now rubbish by comparison.

Reactions: Steel head
It's taken me a year or so but have finally got rid of all the lesser scopes I'd bought over the last decade.
The technology has improved so much in the last few years that scopes that were good options 5-10 years ago are now rubbish by comparison.
I wouldn’t say rubbish but in the last 10 years options have definitely gotten better.

It's not just the glass , It's the whole package right. Preciseness of tracking, returning to zero, zero stop, parallax control, Reticule, everything.
Front focal plane, being able to use the reticule. When i bought scopes for hunting / target shooting out to 100/200 yards I'd zero the scope and forget about it.
Since I started shooting long range out to 1000 yards its a whole different ball game for sure.

My go-to cheap scopes used to be the $300-ish Talos BTR 4-14x44 and now they've become the $850-ish Ares BTR 4.5-27x50. I don't have a solution except to sell the rifles that I don't use much, those scopes too, and upgrade glass.

Because most scopes are disappointing compared to my S&B's! For some reason I always thought I was supposed to be rich??!! Pisses me off because I want nice glass on every rifle I own and the ones I wish I had!

Last edited:
You're not kidding! I've been using Vortex PSTs for the last 10 years, but always wanted a S&B, just couldn't justify the price. Picked one up a month ago and the first time I looked through it I knew I was in trouble. Second S&B arrived on Monday.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
You're not kidding! I've been using Vortex PSTs for the last 10 years, but always wanted a S&B, just couldn't justify the price. Picked one up a month ago and the first time I looked through it I knew I was in trouble. Second S&B arrived on Monday.
Glass difference between those two is ginormous!
Lol!

I started with a HS-T.
While it served me well glass was not its strength.

Only problem i have with high end scopes is the though of dropping it and it breaking. But warranty on these scopes are pretty good

Luckily, for the guys spoiled by alpha glass, it's not a huge disparity in glass and quality between them and optics in the $1500 to $2000 price point.

But if you're talking really nice scopes compared to a $600 optic, it's a pretty big leap.

Using a ZCO has ruined me for other me... scopes, I meant scopes. Tried someone's PST at the range and felt like I couldn't see shit with it. I used to think the PST was very good :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mxridr
Shoot PRS with them and beat the shit out of them but just tell your self that’s what there meant for. You can buy a decent car for what most of my scopes cost and I’m banging then against barricades and pipes. But hell its fun
tenor.gif

Agreed... I bought a Razor AMG for my comp gun a couple years ago. Love it! However, I had another gun built this past winter and haven't scoped it yet because I don't want anything of less quality than the AMG! Been saving some cash and might splurge on a TT this winter and just deal with swapping back and forth this year.

Another big problem is all my friends come to me for advice on their guns and scopes they are looking to buy. It's really tough when they tell me their budget is $500 and to pick a good scope for them. I have to find the nicest way possible of telling them they'll be disappointed.

Most of my hunting rigs have $500 - $1000 scopes on them which work very well for their purpose. My precision guns are another story,my wallet cries each time I build another one,but I've found buying used high end scopes eases the pain some.