• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with Hornady 6mm ARC 108 GR ELD Match out of CMMG Endeavor 300

rwannall

1911(.45),CMMG Endeavor 6mm ARC),AR15(5.56)
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2024
Houston, TX
I have the screwiest problem with the ammo named above, coming out of my Endeavor 300 Mk 4. I have not scoped the bore yet, so this could still resolve down to something stuck in the rifling, or some rifling screwed up.

At the range recently, I was sighting in at 100 yards. It had become "obvious" that I had not sighted in properly before. (I put it in quotes because clearly what was obvious to me was not apparently the problem at atll.) Fine. It happens. At 100 yards, I saw an occasional identifiable strike, but always keyholes, not pencil tip holes. Other than that, I saw nothing. I simply could not see that I was hitting the 6' x 4' target. At 100 yards! With a 5-25 Viper Vortex FFP scope! Makes no sense, right?

After 40 rounds I gave up and waited for the call to go cold. As I was bringing the targets back, I saw the few holes I mentioned, keyholes, and hundreds of tiny pinprick holes all over the targets. The obvious joke was made immediately when I got back to the firing line about no one realizing that 6mm ARC was a shotgun round. It did truly look like shotgun hits, but tiny little holes all over the place, just about literally pin pricks.

The next step was obvious: try the 25 yard line. At 25, perfect. POI married to POA in 3 shots, plus 2 for confirmation.

The next next step: try the 50 yard line. Again. Perfect. Set with confidence at 5 rounds. Then I shot a few more just for the pleasure of seeing the damned things hit where they were supposed to go.

So, somewhere between 50 yards and 100 yards, something weird happens that certainly looks like bullets disintegrating and spraying the targets.

Have any of you heard anything from anyone remotely similar to this report?

My borescope will arrive Friday and I will take a slow and careful tour of that barrel. With just a flashlight at one end and looking through it, I don't see anything obvious, but, the scope will get the final say on that.

Thank you for anything, anything that you think of to say on this topic, period.

I've reached out to Hornady and supplied the Lot # for the boxes involved. If they add anything to the discussion, I will bring it here.

Yes. I have had bullets blow up before. Have you chambered and round then ejected and inspected it? I have seen feed ramps leave pretty bad gouges on bullets. Look at your feed ramps and see if they are collecting copper.

Reactions: rwannall
Yes. I have had bullets blow up before. Have you chambered and round then ejected and inspected it? I have seen feed ramps leave pretty bad gouges on bullets. Look at your feed ramps and see if they are collecting copper.
I ran one magazine of 10 through the CMMG, just ejecting one after the other. The pictures included here show, as well as I could manage, all the rounds side by side and rotated slightly from one picture to the next. There are certainly some interesting blemishes. Some certainly look like what I would call gouges. I was less successful showing the chamber and feed ramp, but I uploaded what I got and will try again tomorrow for better positioning.

Attachments

• 20240220_133056.jpg
    20240220_133056.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240221_230307.jpg
    20240221_230307.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240221_230312.jpg
    20240221_230312.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240221_232635.jpg
    20240221_232635.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240221_232656.jpg
    20240221_232656.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240221_232713.jpg
    20240221_232713.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240221_232729.jpg
    20240221_232729.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 28
Those are pretty roughed up. It's kind of tough tell in the pictures but it looks like I see copper on the edges of the feed ramps. I don't know if it's enough it's the cause of your bullets failures.

I was very surprised how roughed up they were. I knew the ramp picture was almost useless. Made with phone camera. My borescope arrived. We have guests for a few days who are not 2A fans, so I won't get everything back out until after the weekend. I should be able to take some excellent pictures with it. Teslong Rifle Borescope + Smart Endoscope app for Android. First tests were very nice.

Reaction understandable, but these folks are very enthusiastic volunteers who help with Odyssey of the Mind. My wife is Area Director and needs every bit of help she can recruit. I switch to stealth mode for a couple of days so as not to distract from the essential activities.

There are some in my extended family like that. I take every opportunity to let them know where I stand and make them squirm. Either honor my home or GTFO. Nobody has stormed out yet, but I won’t stop pushing😂