• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with mounting scope on AR

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I have been trying to mount my new S&B 5x25x56 on my flat top Predator AR and am having trouble with the scope mount.
I first tried an AI one piece mount with 34mm rings and 28 MOA built into it.
The scope did not sit on the rings. The middle of the scope (turret area) bottoms out on the mount base and does not contact the rings. It teeter tautered on the scope and could not be rotated also to align the reticle for vertical.

I then tried the AI 45 MOA base. The scope sat well on the rings and gave me clearance between the scope and base to rotate to align the reticle. The problem was that I could not get a zero closer than 375 yds which seems not practical to me as my AR 223 shoots 12 inches high at 200 yds. with the elevation lowered all the way.

Does anyone know who makes a good one piece 34mm ring mount with less than28 moa for the S& B that will work on my AR. I think the problem may be the large turret area that the scope has so I need high rings so the scope clears the mount enough so there is no contact between the two.

Alex at Euro optics has been trying to help me with this but does not know any other mounts that will have the correct taper for the scope.

Thanks
Gary

Re: Problem with mounting scope on AR

First I don't know why you think you need a 28 moa or even a 20 moa base on a 223 AR.Not to mention that is one HELL of a lot of scope for such a weapon...WTF are you doing with it?
That said, go look at Larue's SPR mounts for a flattop AR, they are available in 34mm,move your optic far enuff forward, and are available in enuff height to clear the objective.I think you should be mounting that scope on a 338LM and putting a little less glass(3.5-15 NF) on your AR...

I plink with it at a 600 yd range:)
I know it is over scoped, but I love the magnification and the reticle.
My intentions were to eventually move the scope onto a 308 or 338LM next year.
AI is the mount carried by Euro optics which Alex stated was the only base built for the S&B taper and is only made in 28 and 45 moa. I know zero moa would work but it was not offered by AI. Now I see both of them will not work, so am considering other mounts.
I am now looking at La Rue and Badger.
Thanks

Yup, when in doubt with an AR, LaRue is the Alamo. I can't see why their mount wouldn't work for your application. Exhogflyer is right; there is no need to go with such base tilt for an AR. .223 will not fly far enough to warrant it.

I think the LaRue LT158 has 10 moa and sits a little lower than the regular SPR mount. Not sure if the erector housing will clear the mount though.

I like the LaRue design, but not a fan of 1.5" high on an AR (too high for a good prone cheekweld in my experience).

Correct on the LT158, it is 0.08" lower (a bit over 1/16"). I am clueless if the housing would clear the mount or not. I wouldn't suspect it would be a problem, but I concede that I own no S&B.

When in doubt, go with the LT104 and if you want to get a little crazy, slap on a PRS for adjustability.

is there a reason you need a one piece mount? a set of 34mm badger rings may work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NYresq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there a reason you need a one piece mount? a set of 34mm badger rings may work. </div></div>
If they can get the optic far enough forward for proper eye relief.

I had a NF 5.5-22x56 on an AR without having to hang it over the forend, and it wasnt even pushed all the way foward in the rings... How much eye relief do you need with the S&B? I have never owned one, but I have fired a few rifles with them and never noticed that I had that much more space between my eye and the eyepiece.
And its a .223, so no need to worry about getting smacked with the scope from recoil.