• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Problem with Near Mfg. Sako Mount (Fixed Them)

cuutter

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2008
Hesperia,Kalifornia
I just finished 3 Sako M995 in 338 Lapua Mag for a friend of mine and his Dad and Son. I put Near Mfg. scope bases on all of them. Whet to the range today to start load development and none of the rifles would eject the round. Would kick it back into the action. Here's the pics of what it is doing. Have any of you ever run into this? I will call Near but it won't be in till Tuesday. Hoping to figure something out sooner than that.

Thanks in advanced for any help you may have.

Wayne

Thanks guys for responding.

Attachments

• Near Sako Mount 2.jpg
    Near Sako Mount 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Near Sako Mount.jpg
    Near Sako Mount.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Near Sako Mount 3.jpg
    Near Sako Mount 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Not the same gun but the Sako TRG is known for having a small ejection port and doesn't fling brass like a mini-16 extractor. I always had to run my bolt back fast else the spend case would not eject. Just in case you're fingering it back gently, try running the bolt harder.

I had the same issue with my old Sako , I ended up just milling out the section over the action of the base making it a 2 piece base , that action is as stiff as you will see and unless you run you scope at an odd eye relief a two piece works fine.
Another option is to mill the ejection port along the bottom to eliminate some binding , the port has a draft to it and opening it up so that the angle in 90 deg to bore line or lower will give a bit more room

personally I cut the base