• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with new Redding type S bushing die

Roblonsberry

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2021
Canada
I upgraded to Redding type s full length bushing die. I cant get this die to bump my shoulder. My other Redding dies bump the shoulders fine.
The brass was annealed, cleaned and well lubed. I even removed the decapper to rule out it stretching the cases.
Someone suggested it is the shell holder but I’ve not had a problem with the other Redding
dies and this same shell holder.
Did I just get a lemon?

Need some more information on the reloading setup, and how you are measuring the bump.

Sounds like you may need to take a few thou off the base of the body…I once had this problem before and that was the fix…I’ve heard people running the die on a belt sander but most chuck it up in a lathe to turn it down which is how mine was dealt with…this assumes you arent doing something wrong with the set up…

Contact Redding, provide your set up and steps taken and they should (hopefully) be able to help you.

Reactions: 708ackly
Need some more information on the reloading setup, and how you are measuring the bump.
What would you like to know about it?

Using a Lee press with Lee shell holders.
I’ve had good luck with consistency with this press.

I’m using a Hornady headspace comparator with Mititoyo calipers.
My other Redding die bumps the shoulders back fine.

Ive had to trim a 223ai die and a 6br die from them. And i use their comp shell holders. It doesnt need to go in a lathe but that would be the tight way. Im lazy and just used the flat side of my grinding wheel. Both work great now

Reactions: Roblonsberry
What is the difference in shoulder bump between the two dies?
I have it set to .002 on my non bushing die. I can set it much more but no point.

My type S die won’t bump at all. Screwed it in ALL the way and it still doesn’t touch the shoulder.

Ive had to trim a 223ai die and a 6br die from them. And i use their comp shell holders. It doesnt need to go in a lathe but that would be the tight way. Im lazy and just used the flat side of my grinding wheel. Both work great now
Thanks for the response.

I would but I have a small place and no such tools available unfortunately. After the holiday I’ll be contacting Redding.

You can do pretty well with a good flat surface and some sand paper if need be. Be sure that's the issue though

You can do pretty well with a good flat surface and some sand paper if need be. Be sure that's the issue though
I’m beginning to think it was a mixup. It took a ridiculous amount of time to get. Perhaps the sales guy mixed mine up with someone else’s special order.I’ve tried contacting the seller and they’re not getting back….

I’m beginning to think it was a mixup. It took a ridiculous amount of time to get. Perhaps the sales guy mixed mine up with someone else’s special order.I’ve tried contacting the seller and they’re not getting back….

Could be. I got a redding set once that had one die in the set that was 6.5cm and the rest were 6cm like they were supposed to be. They swapped it out but made me pay for shipping to them to do it , which I wasn't very happy about but, it does happen.

My type S die won’t bump at all. Screwed it in ALL the way and it still doesn’t touch the shoulder.

I find it hard to believe that it cant be adjusted to touch the shell holder.

Any chance the stamping on the die says B/nk, so that it is actually only a neck sizing die?

Just bought a Redding .223 AI bushing/ full length die. Had to grind .025 off the bottom to get .002 bump oh shoulder.
It was just as easy to grind off as to send it back.

I have it set to .002 on my non bushing die. I can set it much more but no point.

Set the die to cam over. Also, are you going off what the Hornady gauge is saying or is the bolt hard to close?

Did you look at the numbers stamped into side of the die and confirm it's a F/L die and not a N/O die? I have both and my F/L bushing die has no issue getting plenty of shoulder bump.

So, what exactly does all the way mean?

You screw it in with the ram up until it touches? Try ten dropping the ram and screw the die in another 1/4 turn and see if you get bump. If not, try a little more.

You will know before you break anything unless you BBC are Superman.

I had the same problem with my Redding 223 FL bushing die. I have a perfectly hard flat countertop and removed 0.010” by wet sanding with 220 grit sandpaper placed on the flat hard surface facing up. I kept the base of the die square with the sandpaper and removed material with circular motions. That solved that problem, but this die had concentricity issues too so I purchased a Whidden 223 FL non-bushing die that is spot on.

Resize-9739.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Had the same deal with a Redding .22BR Body die.

Sanded off the top of the shellholder, as it’s cheaper than the die. Works fine unless you’re running a Forster Co-ax.

I don’t want to turn this into a “bag on Redding” thread, so I’ll STFU now.

Redding's Competition Shellholder kits are the perfect solution. The .004 variant is usually the perfect shoulder bump for the stuff I reload. I like having the flexibility to work down to the perfect bump just by changing shellholders.

Reactions: oso1
Had the same deal with a Redding .22BR Body die.

Sanded off the top of the shellholder, as it’s cheaper than the die. Works fine unless you’re running a Forster Co-ax.

I don’t want to turn this into a “bag on Redding” thread, so I’ll STFU now.

It's way easier and cheaper to remove material off of the top of the shell holder.

It was my understanding that the shellholder kits started at “standard thickness” and got thicker from there.
But, if you’re telling me they get thinner, and you actually own a set, I’m inclined to believe you.

Of course, the rub lies in having to buy a their special shellholder set for their “it’s within spec” dies……

Reactions: Baron23
It was my understanding that the shellholder kits started at “standard thickness” and got thicker from there.
But, if you’re telling me they get thinner, and you actually own a set, I’m inclined to believe you.

Of course, the rub lies in having to buy a their special shellholder set for their “it’s within spec” dies……
Nope ... as you go from .010 to .008 ... down to .002, the shellholder decreases in depth and increases the shoulder bump. I always start at .010, and decrease the number to increase the shoulder bump ... stopping where I get the 2-to-3 thousands of bump I'm looking for.

Reactions: Conaso and Baron23
I had the same problem with the Redding die in 223 AI. Just to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, I ordered a spare shell holder and trimmed that instead of the die. I figured it was easier to throw away a $12. shell holder verses a $$ die.

I don't understand, Redding intentionally machines these dies long for a reason, so why are so many complaining or not understanding what they are buying.

I upgraded to Redding type s full length bushing die. I cant get this die to bump my shoulder. My other Redding dies bump the shoulders fine.
The brass was annealed, cleaned and well lubed. I even removed the decapper to rule out it stretching the cases.
Someone suggested it is the shell holder but I’ve not had a problem with the other Redding
dies and this same shell holder.
Did I just get a lemon?
Call or email Redding - they will solve your issue.

I don't understand, Redding intentionally machines these dies long for a reason, so why are so many complaining or not understanding what they are buying.
That's a great question. I don't have the answer. I just know that without grinding the die, or grinding the shell holder, or buying their Competition Shell Holder Kit ... you can't solve this problem. (At least "I" couldn't.)

Dunno about “solving your issue”. They will happily tell you it’s “within their spec”.

"I upgraded to Redding type s full length bushing die"

At one time Redding produced high quality products at high quality product prices but
as of late it seems that the high quality part of the deal is sporadic.