• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Problem with Nightforce ATACR ZeroHOLD feature

Fisher85

Minuteman
Mar 2, 2017
Today I took my ATACR 4-16 to the range for the first time and once I zeroed my rifle I proceeded to install the Zero HOLD feature. As per the manual this involves removing the elevation cap and then loosening the four screws on the black clamp wheel (clutch?), turning the clamp wheel clockwise until it bottoms out with no further movement, then tightening the screws and installing the elevation cap back on. I can now dial elevation up just fine. The problem is that I can only dial 0.1 mil (1 click) below zero and the Zero Hold feature should let me dial up to 2 mils below. Yes I am holding down the zero hold button when I do this. So I followed the FAQ instructions in the manual about this problem and it states that I need to access the black clamp wheel again but to loosen the screws and turn the clamp wheel 1/8 - 1/4 counter clockwise to back the wheel out. This is another problem I ran into, the clamp wheel wont turn counterclockwise at all. I loosened the clamp wheel screws one full turn and then even half a turn more and the wheel still will not turn counter clockwise. I did not want to loosen the screws anymore since removing them could cause more problems. I'm gonna call Nightforce customer support on Monday but wanted to see if anyone else has ran into this problem before?

Take the cap back off and loosen those 4 clutch screws a very small amount and turn the clutch counter clockwise maybe a half rotation or so, then re tighten the 4 clutch screws and put the cap back on.. should be able to adjust the amount of mils below zero by doing this.. Mine has .4 mils below zero after adjusting my clutch down as well.. I have 13.8 mils of elevation which is plenty for me..

Also after loosening the clutch screws, it's harder to turn the clutch knob by using the smaller round section that your cap screws tighten against.. grab the bigger part that the actual clutch screws go through and try to turn it that way..

Also after loosening the clutch screws, it's harder to turn the clutch knob by using the smaller round section that your cap screws tighten against.. grab the bigger part that the actual clutch screws go through and try to turn it that way..

Thanks I tried this and it worked but took a while to get the clutch to move. Advice to anyone else setting the ZeroHold feature: If you tighten down the clutch all the way like the manual says you wont be able to dial below zero. You'll have to back off the clutch about an 1/8 turn or so. Right now I can dial 1.5 mils below zero and would have to adjust the clutch to dial more or less.

I had the identical problem of not being able to turn the wheel counter clockwise, took a lot of messing about. Then I had a new problem with my zero hold. When I went to loosen the screws in the clamp wheel the entire wheel moved. Even with the screws tightened down firmly the clamp wheel moved under the pressure of working the screws (both loosening and tightening). Much as I think the 4-16 is a winner I do wish Nightforce would simplify the setup of the zero hold. Compared to the foolproof simplicity of setting up the zero stop on my March the NF seems needlessly complex.

Last edited:
I've got a few of these scopes as they, to me, are the best all around scope on the market. I will admit, the first time I messed with the ZeroHold adjustment, I had the same issues. Once I figured out the ins and outs of what to do....easy peasy!

Once you get zeroed and before ever removing the dial, you need to dial in 20 clicks (2mils/5moa) below zero. THIS IS THE KEY!
Now remove the dial. Loosen the 4 T6 torx screws just slightly in the top of the clamp plate. Yes, if they are too tight and you are not holding the clamp plate with your thumb, you can click the adjustments.......ask me how I know.

Ok, so the 4 screws are cracked loose.
Now turn the clamp plate Clockwise (CW) until it stops.
Retighten the four T6 Torx screws in an even pattern until resistance (yes, older models had small phillips)
Two inch pounds is tighter than I assumed for such a small screw. You will turn the screw another 1/8 to 1/4 turn past resistance for proper holding strength per the NF manual.
Nightforce now sells a cool torque tool kit that contains torque limiters for 25 inch pounds, 68 inch pounds and now 100 inch pounds and also has a driver that is adjustable from 2 - 10 inch pounds. It wasn't until I had this did I realize how loose I was actually leaving the T6 screws.
Reinstall the dial so that the number 10 (2 mils below) lines up with the line. Tighten the dial screws to 10 inch pounds. Again, it was not until I had the torque driver did I realize that I was severely overtightening the allen screws that secure the dial. So I was undertightening the T6 screws and overtightening the dial screws. Go figure!

I have had flawless operation from my ATACR 4-16's and adjusting the ZeroHold elevation is a piece of cake now.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Joecamel
I have a ATACR and love it. Call Nightforce. Their support is excellent. However, they get bust at times. Leave them a message. They will call you back.
Bang

I have a ATACR and love it. Call Nightforce. Their support is excellent. However, they get bust at times. Leave them a message. They will call you back.
Bang

I bought a used Atacr off of SH and couldn't figure out how to reset the zero stop. Called them and they explained it over the phone. Turns out I was trying to make it much harder than it is. It's an easy zero stop. The SHV is even easier.