• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Problem with SS 10x and TPS rings

bruce3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
I have a SWFA SS scope and TPS rings. When i place the bottom half of the ring between the eye piece and turret they fit perfectly but when i place it between the turret and objective theres a gap about the thickness of a credit card. Its not the rings themselves because both rings give the same results. However when i played with the top half of the rings one of them is able to fit perfectly on both sections. When i compare this top half to the rest of the rings parts that don't mate i could't see any difference. Any suggestions on what i should do? I was thinking about lapping it. Here are some pictures

Between eye piece and turret
attachment.php

Between turret and objective
attachment.php

Re: Problem with SS 10x and TPS rings

Maybe your bases or maybe you got one ring in 30mm and one in 1 inch. Just a thought.

Connect the rings and use a micrometer to insure they are perfectly round. Use a caliper to check your scope tube. If you have doubts, send the scope back to SWFA to be checked and do teh same with the rings.
I have that exact same system on a badger base on my GAP/AI R700 and fit is very solid with no gaps or other failures

How your's SHOULD look

102_3802.jpg

Switchy, not sure what your recomending here. He would need a bore gauge to check concentricity but in a split ring this still would not reveal anything because when you clamp the top ring to the bottom ring, its not a perfect circle.

To the op, I cant see your pics because I dont belong to Calguns.

i solved the problem by sanding the inside of one of the rings with a dowel and some sand paper. fits perfectly now.

A caliper can check for any major variations in your scope tube, and a good lapping bar will tell you how true your rings are when you start to use it.

Do you have another set of ring's to try?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burce3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SWFA SS scope and TPS rings. When i place the bottom half of the ring between the eye piece and turret they fit perfectly but when i place it between the turret and objective theres a gap about the thickness of a credit card. Its not the rings themselves because both rings give the same results. However when i played with the top half of the rings one of them is able to fit perfectly on both sections. When i compare this top half to the rest of the rings parts that don't mate i could't see any difference. Any suggestions on what i should do? I was thinking about lapping it. Here are some pictures

Between eye piece and turret
attachment.php

Between turret and objective
attachment.php

</div></div>

I can't pull up your pictures, but I own five sets of TPS TSR rings.

Did you follow the instructions, or even read them, that came with your TPS rings?

You're supposed to have a gap on one side, with this brand and the gap might be a few business cards worth.

If you're getting no gap on one segment of the scope, you might have dissimilar tubes, with one being slightly undersized. Or, a cap is out of spec.

Align the witness marks on the caps and bases, screw down that side first and then tighten the opposite side down. ~15 in/# for alloy and ~20 in/# for steel rings.

Chris

Guilty, i didn't even look at the instruction. Im not talking about the gap where the two halves of the rings meet but a gap between the bottom of the scope tube and the ring. is there a way to upload pics onto snipers hide? i can't figure out how to post pictures. thanks for the help guys! Oh i measured the tube and between the eyepiece and turret is 29.97mm and between turret and objective 30.05.

eyepiece to turret
Eye-Turret.jpg

turret to objective
Turret-Objective.jpg