• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Problem with the vertical spread, any ideas?

isakhnov

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
I've taken my AR to the range after not shooting it from the bench for about 8 months. I was able to get sub-MOA groups fairly consistent in the past but today no matter what I did vertical spread was at 2 MOAs. Horizontally it was still under an MOA. The only change to my setup is a new scope - I used to have Nightforce 3.5-15 and now have Vortex 2.5-10.
I know that the problem should be with me but can't figure out what is going wrong. Any ideas?

Re: Problem with the vertical spread, any ideas?

Make sure you're firing during the natural respiratory pause. Vertical deviation is most commonly caused by breathing.

Usual suspects. Trigger control, tail or head wind if range is long, rifle positon on rest, if used, other form issues, breathing etc.

I guess I will try shooting it from the rest next time. The thing is I shot my bolt right after AR and I got 1 inch five shot group and .6 inch three shot group out of eight shots made.

That could suggest an incomplete follow through. With the added recoil stages of a semi automatic this becomes more important.

I know it really helped my consistency when I focused on it more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That could suggest an incomplete follow through. With the added recoil stages of a semi automatic this becomes more important.

I know it really helped my consistency when I focused on it more. </div></div>

I had this same problem and I thought it was trigger control as well but then I alternated to the bench and stopped getting strings. ( not after changing scopes but after changing from troy micros to standard height sights.)

I assume you are shooting prone? If you are it could be that when you changed scopes the eye relief is different between the 2 causing you to move your cheek to a different spot on the gun. Which in turn moves the rifle to a different position on your shoulder than it would be with the NF. Causing the rifle to move slightly up or down after each follow up shot making your vertical spread what it is. A slight readjustment of my head on the stock fixed my string problem.

Like said above in the last two post...Work on follow threw.You Drive an AR,But I here you can just Ride a BOLT GUN... LOL..
Some days we do the right things and dont know it.Some days we just suck or we dont know the proper way maybe its we just forget some Basic fundamentals.

The following works with AR and bolt guns.
When I work with shooters I tell them once the trigger has broken the job is NOT finished,You must fight with every part of your being to keep that weapon aimed at the POA and keep the trigger held untill the rounds has impacted with No issue's and good groups..
The best way to work with follow threw is Dry fire,pay attention to what you do,If you move,Blink,Flinch,Let the trigger up,Or the scope moves off POA at all..Keep dry fireing untill you work it all out with your self.

Drift or NPA (Natural Point of Aim) can reck groups it needs attention.
When aiming bagged up at the target and ready to fire,relax and let the tension go away from your body while never looking away from the POA,see where the POA drifts,reposition to correct the drift with NPA and try again untill the drift is gone,Doing this will help allot with follow threw,When the weapon fires it will find the path of least resitance and move in that direction(Drift)..

Will pay more attention to the follow through when at the range next time.