• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem

arkansashntr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
I have been shooting 155 Amax out of my 5R for 100(+) rds using Federal Premium Brass. Gun shoots very tight groups out to 400yds.

I bought some Winchester brass trimmed and loaded it the exact same as the federals(length, powder, primer, case OAL). Went and shot yesterday and was under MOA at 100 and then shot at 200y. Put 5 rds down range and never hit paper.

Only thing I can think of is the brass causing the problem. Never would have thought different brass would cause a bullet to shoot that much different...

Thoughts??

Re: Problem

Changing to different brands of brass will require a whole new load development. Start at a lower charge then work up.

one thing comes to mind.the win brass has alot more volume than the fed brass.so the pressure was alot different.but not really sure if thats the case.the fire forming along with the volume difference might be the case.

changing brass won`t do that....there`s more to this story..... than that....... same everything....????... powder mix-up...????.. different lot...???? some bullets are notoriously thin skinned... and blow up...new box of bullets...???.... has your barrel got over 5K rnds..????. and tearing bullets up....???.. did you super clean your barrel..????. removing all copper and left ruff spots..
not bashing here.... just stuff I would look at....
bill larson

Case volume could be causing a pressure difference. Do a water volume comparison between two casings. You may be surprised what you find between two casings. However I do agree with Bill, there has to be something else going on if you're going from <MOA @ 100 to off paper @200. (unless your shooting posted notes)

Try loading some now once fired Winchester brass to same specs again. I've seen some "funny" things with brand new brass. Not to this extent, but...

Anybody got a good load they are using. I'm out of 155s and was thinking about going to 178 amaxs (these will be hunting/LR shooting to 500yd loads). I'm about out of Varget but was going to stick with it unless there is a better powder.

Thoughts?

I run 47.5 of varget in win brass with the 155 and 45 of varget with the 175SMK or 178 Amax
hope this helps.