• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Problems mounting scope level...

Jakerz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Statesville, NC
Ok, I just got my SN-3 used last week, I tossed it on to snap some pictures and never really leveled the thing, just looked through it and got close, anyway

Tonight I was bored and figured I would mount it right, so I took everything apart, grabed my feeler guages and stuck it back on, tightened everything up and was happy, until I looked down it and the reticle looks crooked. So I took it off and tried agian, same thing. Then I made sure the scope base was level with a bubble level and did the same with the scope, reticle still looks wrong to me ><.

Is it possible to have the reticle not perfectly horizontal to the scope body? I realize this is a high end scope and I didn't have this problem with my Super Sniper I just replaced... when I rotate the scope to where it looks right the body is noticably not level also.

Jake

Re: Problems mounting scope level...

That is for sure possible.

Try taking the scope off and just sitting it upside down or on its right side on one of the turrets if you can, that way it should be square. (assuming the turrets have a flat spot on them.) Then look through it again while it is sitting like that and you should be able to tell very easily if it is the reticle itself or a mounting issue.

Or you can level the rifle and put up a laser or plumb bob and see if the reticle aligns... I had a scope that had this problem. Sent it back. They said I was right.

John

True, I cant really say my eye is perfect, lol

I'll try that

Jake

The scope reticle might look crooked to the eye behind it but be square with the rifle. I would level the rifle and use either a plumb line or even a piece of cardboard or target with the edge perfectly level but make sure it's about 3 feet long to give you a good distance up and down the reticle when being viewed.

Okay, I mounted it back up, level, double checked the rifle was level and looks through it, according to all the doors and other buildings around me, the reticle looks to be right, just looks F***ed up to me, lol

I'm going to the range this weekend hopefully and I'll take a plumbe line with me and test it where I can see both really clearly at a bit of distance.

Thanks Guys,
Jake