• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Problems with 178 Amax and 2000mr

Dshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
West side, MI
Hey hiders,
Went out today to do more load development for this Krieger barreled .308. I was testing 2000mr with 185 jugs, 178 Amax, and 178 bthp. I found a halfway load for the 185 between 47.6-47.9. That was seating them .060 off. The Amaxes I had .020 off lands and with several different charge weights, I had single digit SD over 5 rounds...I'll be damned if they would group though. Same issue with the 178 bthp. Now the good group from the 185s had an SD of 13 and another group was 17. If neck tension was off, wouldn't the SD be higher on the 178? Not sure what's giving here. Only difference amongst all of these....the 185s brass was only neck sized and didn't even bump shoulders, both 178s I tested were in FL sized brass and had .0015 more neck tension. Any thoughts? All brass was winchester once fired in this gun. Barrel is 26 in with 12tw. Excellent velocity.

I think it's your 12 twist, my Rem SPSS 12 twist dldn't shoot the 2nd lot number of 178HPBTs well either, my 10 twist sporter shoots them very well. SPSS likes 155s and 168s very good.

JG...I would believe that theory if my 185s had not shot well, but they did. Others on here have shot 208s out of a 12 tw without problems. I have no problem believing the 178 bthp are no good, they have a better advertised BC but if the weights are inconsistent then no go. But Amax???

Some people rave about the AMaxs but I had trouble with them. I couldn't get them shoot better than 1 MOA, It is a full custom 300 saum and I thought the barrel was no good. I even tried 3 different powders and went through over a 100rds trying to get them to shoot. I tried 185 Jugs and the first 3 groups with different charge weights shot less than 1/4 MOA. I couldn't believe it. Some barrels like the amaxs, some don't.

I've kinda come to that conclusion myself. At least with 2000mr. I'll try them on top of RL 17 and if it doesn't work...you'll see them post on here for sale. My barrel loves 185 jugs over 2000mr, 168 hybrids, & 168 A max over varget.