• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Problems With American Ballistics 7.62 M118LR Ammo

RadioDude

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Magalia, CA.
I had some range time recently to shoot a box a while back and I experienced a problem with some of their rounds.

The round chambered and fired fine. When I retracted the bolt the casing was stuck in the bolt and would not eject. I removed the bolt and removed the spent cartridge by hand, the primer fell out. It was not in the primer hole in the spent cartridge after firing.

The back of the casing was blackened, as is the outside casing of the primer.

I suspect the primer had become loose and was part-way out of the primer pocket when the firing pin hit the primer and fired. The primer was then ejected and jammed against back of the casing and the bolt face preventing the cartridge from ejecting. This could also indicate the primer pocket might have been larger than the primer. The casing primer hole looks a little large also.

Any thoughts on how this happened?

Radio Dude
(I have pictures, however I'm not familiar with loading pictures on to SH)

If this was not new brass.I suspect that they reloaded military brass with a crimped primer pockets.When they went to remove crimp they probably over reamed the locket and caused the loose fit.If new brass the primer pocket could have been stamped incorrectly or was damaged in manufacturing .

Regards,Mike