• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Problems with CeraKote

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Recently had a stainless AR barrel CeraKote'd.

Now the diameter is too big to get my .750" PRI gas block to fit.

Have tried knocking it on but all that has done is start to scratch up the CeraKote.

What is the best thing to do?

Should I remove the CeraKote on the .750" part of the barrel?

If I do that how should I then treat the barrel to match the remaining CeraKote'd sections?

Or should I lap the inside of the PRI until it fits?

Re: Problems with CeraKote

Did your Cerakote applicator have your gas block? If I saw it fit that tight I would have coated it with it in place. At this point I would just redo it. Blast it all off. Reinstall your gas block and then coat it as an assembly.

It does go on thin (.0005" to .001") and usually individual parts are fine.

I would think it should have been coated with it together. It normally goes on about .001" thin/thick for us but still, adding .002" to the diameter of something is too much for a slip fit or tighter part.

Thanks guys,

No the guy who applied it did not have the block and as this was the first barrel I've had done I didn't think to send it to him.

I'll get it redone but send the block with the barrel.

Lapping the block or lightly buffing the barrel with some 1000 grit finishing paper where the block goes...mask off the ends. JMHO

That stinks... I say that because I've done the same thing! I had to reblast and have it coated again. Good news for me was that the guy who did it felt sorry for me and coated it again with the gas block in place....Free of charge!