• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problems with ELDM's

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
Just opened a new box of 285gr. 338's for my LM and noticed that many of the red tips were broken off. 12 to be exact. Not a good thing for a long range set up. Makes me wonder how many tips are breaking off during flight. Maybe even cause a barrel obstruction. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: diverdon

Have not had any issues that i know of with the 6mm 108s including the seconds from midway, or the 140ELDM or 143ELDX. I did have several problems with the barnes tipped 110s in my Grendel, they were snapping off during chambering in my AR, had 6-7 out of 15 test rounds. Never even finished load work up with them.

Plus a couple more I'm sure lol

I’ve had some broken tips as well with factory 224 Valkyrie 88eld-m. It started mid day of my last match in really dry dusty conditions. I haven’t really been able to sort it out yet, as once I cleaned and lubed my gas gun I couldn’t replicate the problem. I figured it was more of an issue with my gasser than a projectile problem.

Well like Rocketmandb suggested maybe I'll try the Bergers or some copper solid. Can't break a tip off with either.

Well like Rocketmandb suggested maybe I'll try the Bergers or some copper solid. Can't break a tip off with either.

I don't have a 338, so can't comment directly about the Berger 300 hybrids, but a friend has one and uses/likes them. I use the 230 hybrids in my 300 and 105 hybrids in my 6. I prefer them over their polymer tipped cousins for a host of reasons.