• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Problems with FN SPR and Rem 700

heitmann45

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
CA
I was shooting with a buddy today and we both had minor problems with our rifles.

To start, I have a new Remington 700 in a manners stock (with DBM and aics mags) and timney trigger. About one out of every five rounds, the brass apparently strikes something inside the action and the empty casing winds up lying on top of the the next live round. Basically it just doesn't eject from the gun. The empty case is not attached to the bolt or anything, just lying freely in the action. It will eject most fine, this only occurs once or twice per mag (used three different mags with the same outcome).

My friend is shooting an SPR A2 in a Mcmillan stock. The gun has a timney trigger as well. It has fired fine for several hundred round. However, today, the firing pin would not stay cocked if he closed the bolt quickly. If he went slow, everything worked fine. During the downstroke of the bolt handle you could see the rear of the bolt/firing pin assembly ride forward. The trigger was then dead of course.

My back ground in in 1911's and AR's so i'm hesitant to start ripping bolts apart without some info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Problems with FN SPR and Rem 700

On the FN the trigger needs adjusting by a smith that knows Timney triggers.

The Rem sounds like the something is making it eject up instead of right or the the extractor is broke. Clean the bolt face good and inspect the extractor.

Sounds like your friend adjusted his trigger a bit too light. Not enough spring pressure to reset the sear when the action is worked quickly.

Your issue could be extractor or ejector related. Hard to tell without looking at the two together. Does the extractor have some tension within the recess of the bolt? When you chamber a round is there any abnormal resistance to the extractor snapping over the rim?

Thanks for the info guys. I'll let him know about his trigger.

For my bolt, it doesn't feel as if there is any more resistance when picking up a round than several other bolt guns I have been shooting. I'm guessing it's something to do with the extractor or ejector too, just not nearly as familiar with the way they work as I am with other types of firearms.

You may have a little piece of brass or some grit build up stuck in the ejector causing it to not do it's job. See if you can see if there is anything built up in or around the ejector, clean it really well and lube it with a dry lube. See if that helps at all.

I've had the same problem with my rem 700 and it was the ejector. My ejector was sticking because of a build up of brass shavings in the ejection system. So, I took the ejector assembly apart and properly clean and lube it. I haven't had a problem sense.

Ok thanks guys. I'll take it apart and give it a try.

I took the bolt apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I put it back together and I'm still getting some hang ups. I'm assuming the next step is to replace the extractor. Any other thoughts?

had that happen with one of my spr's, bought a jewell and problem solved.

You took the ejector pin and spring out and cleaned out the hole? Also, did you check for any burs or galling in the hole and on the ejector parts? If you did so, you might have a ejector spring problem, to weak/to strong. You might also have a worn out extractor that is not holding on to the case until it gets to the ejection port. I'm not sure what to tell you without seeing what the parts look like.

The gun is brand new and it's kind of a pisser to think any of these parts have problems or are worn out. I took the ejector and spring out and cleaned it out. The spring felt plenty strong (much stronger than I expected at least). The weird thing is even when it ejects a case it doesn't go very far.

I'm thinking the extractor may be letting go of the casing too soon and not letting the ejector do it's job.

I suppose I'll put a new extractor in and try it out. If it still doesn't work I'll take it to a smith.

I was looking into that and have read almost as many bad reviews as good ones. People were complaining that the springs were too weak and wore out too fast. I have no experience with it though.

If it truly makes the gun more reliable I'd have no problem going that route (as long as I find a guy that can do that around here)

Ok, swapped out the extractor. All the dummies extract and eject now. However, It tends to throw some further than others, some get thrown out to one o'clock, some to 3 or 4 o'clock.

I know with a 1911 that means there's still extractor/ejector problems that could still have reliability issues. Does this matter much with a bolt gun? If so, what do you recommend now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Schiavi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take it to a smith and have a sako extractor installed and be done with it.my two cents </div></div>

LOL Well maybe your two cents isn't worth a bottle of piss.....

Did you know installing a Sako Extractor on a Rem factory bolt will cause the ejected brass to ding the scope adjustment and sometimes knock the brass back into the loading port causing a stoppage.

Sako is the last thing you want if you can get the factory Extract/Eject functioning right.