• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problems with Magnetospeed V3

MCSO1357

Teaching the rookies to walk down the mountain
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 9, 2008
    Iowa
    Has anybody has any issues with V3? The last two times that I've had it out it hasn't worked. Registers velocity of the first round fired, then acts like nothing happens even though I'm continuing to fire over it.

It is attached properly to my GAP Rem 700's barrel. Occasionally I'll get the message on the screen that's shown in the pic. Can't figure it out by reading the manual. I've changed batteries, checked connections, returned all settings to DEFAULT.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408417721.330297.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408417721.330297.jpg
      176.1 KB · Views: 59
    Last edited:
    Customer service at Magnetospeed is outstanding!!! Give them a call and I'm sure they can square you away.

My V3 has worked perfect since I got it a couple months ago. Give them a call and have them troubleshoot it with you.

I just used mine once. Seemed to work but I am not sure about my numbers. It was showing 2712 fps with my hand loads at the upper charge weight and 2530 fps out of a mid range charge out of a 20" AINA barrel on my AIAT. Can anyone tell me if that sounds right? Seems a little on the high side to me.

I just used mine once. Seemed to work but I am not sure about my numbers. It was showing 2712 fps with my hand loads at the upper charge weight and 2530 fps out of a mid range charge out of a 20" AINA barrel on my AIAT. Can anyone tell me if that sounds right? Seems a little on the high side to me.
    Hard to tell, since you give us absolutely no information on your load, bullet, powder or even caliber, though we could perhaps make an assumption you are shooting .308.

Really though, it is simple enough to verify in at least a couple ways. One is to compare to regular chrono data if you have access to one. Another is to go ahead and shoot the loads you chose at a few distances and plug that hold information into your ballistic calculator. It will quickly show you if those velocities are accurate as long as you have properly entered every other bit of information correctly.

In my limited experience with my V2, the velocities it gave me for my .260 load at barrel have worked very well out to 1200 yds so far. So I'm comfortable that the output is accurate. My shooting buddy shoots a .260 also, from a different barrel and his velocities came up 20 fps less than mine. His numbers also work pretty well for him.

EDIT: OP, I agree that a call to Magnetospeed is in order. That doesn't look right, but that is what customer service is for.

Last edited:
    Sorry for the brain fart. 168gr SMK loaded with 44.9gr of IMR4064 in new Lapua brass seated to 2.4" from ogive. Give me a average of 2712 fps. 43.3 gr gives me 2530 fps average. That's my two accuracy nodes.

Seems like the numbers are sound to me. Test them at distance and compare with your ballistic calc. I get 2640 out of my 20 inch barrel with 175's so with 168's sounds reasonable.

I just got a V3 for my birthday last weekend. I'm hoping to get out with it the next weekend. I hope this is an isolated instance.

I have used my V3 a couple times. One issue it has is the switches. If I want to archive a series, I press the center round menu button, then the down arrow one click. It ALWAYS goes down 2 lines instead of 1 line to the "Delete a Shot" line, and I have to arrow up to get to "Archive Series".

I also have trouble with the bayo connection loosening up. I have to check it after every few shots and most times I have to retighten it. For what this thing costs, and considering it is on the 3rd revision, it shouldn't have these issues.

What is the distance from the sensors to the BOTTOM of bore? This is important. I set mine to no more than an 1/8" and make sure that it level with the bore. On some rifles I have had to us a piece of 1/16" thick rubber at the front of the mount to level the sensors.

I have used my V3 a couple times. One issue it has is the switches. If I want to archive a series, I press the center round menu button, then the down arrow one click. It ALWAYS goes down 2 lines instead of 1 line to the "Delete a Shot" line, and I have to arrow up to get to "Archive Series".

I noticed this sensitivity too. Seems like they don't have much of a delay from button being pressed to when it scrolls. Was the V1 or V2 this way?

I recently purchased a v3 too. I've noticed that the switches are very sensitive.

You might send them an email stating your experience. I did this and they said that they would take a look. If they heard this from more people they might be more serious about doing something.

Has anybody has any issues with V3? The last two times that I've had it out it hasn't worked. Registers velocity of the first round fired, then acts like nothing happens even though I'm continuing to fire over it.

It is attached properly to my GAP Rem 700's barrel. Occasionally I'll get the message on the screen that's shown in the pic. Can't figure it out by reading the manual. I've changed batteries, checked connections, returned all settings to DEFAULT.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I received same type message in display my third day out only. First and second where fine without any issues at all.

One thing I noticed was every time I had an issue the LCD was immediate right of action. Never happened when LCD was rear of action. Yesterday, trip four, I changed from retractable plug to longer static plug that came with MSv3. Placed LCD rear of action. I also changed to Duracell 9 volt. Took 28 shots past MS without any issues at all.

Caliber 338 LM.

Not sure if above means anything.

I am considering trying following next range trip.
    - Place MSv.3 right of action
    - Place ammo box between action and LCD to see if issue continues after shielding unit
    * I am thinking blast is messing with MS

** I have not experienced any issues with switches

Chatted with CS, they suggested lowering the sensitivity.
    Was only having this trouble with hotter loads that I'd been working up in 308. They said blast from unburned powder was possibly interfering with sensors. Haven't had a chance to get to range to test out.

Chatted with CS, they suggested lowering the sensitivity.
    Was only having this trouble with hotter loads that I'd been working up in 308. They said blast from unburned powder was possibly interfering with sensors. Haven't had a chance to get to range to test out.

Curious, was their suggestion to lower sensitivity to address 'buttons issue' and or 'LCD message', such as, your uploaded pic?

Without having my unit in front of me at this time I do not know what level it is at but I do recall it was at default. By any chance sis you change your Sensitivity level?

The LCD message was indicating that a sensor wasn't reading properly. He thought that the sensor's sensitivity was too high (at the default level) and was obscured by the blast of carbon and powder from the muzzle. Again, haven't had the opportunity to test this theory out yet.
    Buttons have worked fine.

Just got mine about 4 weeks ago and used it on my both 243 bolt action rifles, a couple 223 rifles but the only problem I had was my semi auto 308. For some reason I could not get good readings on my 308. It was the last rifle I chrono'd and was a little tired. I chalked it up to not having the sensor on right.

The LCD message was indicating that a sensor wasn't reading properly. He thought that the sensor's sensitivity was too high (at the default level) and was obscured by the blast of carbon and powder from the muzzle. Again, haven't had the opportunity to test this theory out yet.
    Buttons have worked fine.

Thank you for clarification.

sent via Tapatalk

You might send them an email stating your experience. I did this and they said that they would take a look. If they heard this from more people they might be more serious about doing something.

I did report the issue, and they said that until I reported it, they had never had a complaint about it... but that the same day I reported it, they got another very similar report. They figured it was from someone I talked to (WTF?). They also said that they would let the engineers know about it and "it is something we will look at adjusting in the future".

Mine now does it on several menu items, to the extent where some of them simply cannot be selected because the arrow jumps right past them going either direction up or down, therefore the function is unavailable.

How about instead of looking at adjusting it in the future, they do it now? This thing cost almost $400 and it does not work as advertised. I told them I want mine fixed, not put in line for something they will possibly think about maybe looking into sometime in the future.

I sent it in, and they said they were unable to duplicate the problem, it worked perfectly for them.

They offered that if I would let them keep it for a while they'd look into changing the code so the firmware is less sensitive to scrolling so quickly. I declined that, since they say there is nothing wrong with my unit they can fix the firmware without having my unit in their hands. The firmware is small and could be downloaded and installed by a user, should they come up with a fix.

So they said they'll send it back to me in the same condition in which I sent it in. The possibility exists that I am just leaving my finger on the button too long, and I need to make my button presses more crisp and shorter. We'll see when I get it back.

I just recently purchased v3 and have not experienced any bitton issues. Only issue I experienced was trip three out of four where MS did not register about 8 shots. I believe this was caused by blast of my .338 Lapua and MS being close and Immediate right of action. Trip number four I deliberately left MS in same poaition as trop three EXCEPT I placed ammo box between the two and had NO issues as she read all shots taken this day. I did not make amy changes to default sensitivity. I did, however, changed default 9 volt to a Duracell.

I have been happy with my MS v.3.

sent via Tapatalk

Reactions: Bob Ondess
    UPDATE:
    I received my V3 head unit back from Magnetospeed. Yes, if I am careful with the buttons, I can get the menu to move one line at a time. I do think it is excessively sensitive, but as long as I can operate it with care and get it to do what I want it to do, it's OK.