• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

problems with rem 700 5r

jdutton24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
alabama
when feeding the last round from the magazine, the bolt will actually catch the case for a split second then glide over the case and catch it about half way up the case. i then have to back the bolt up then try again and then it feeds it in the chamber. it only does it on the last round but it does it about 80% of the time. i contacted remington and they sent me a new magazine spring and that still didnt fix it. so now im gonna have to send it in. i also called the dealer and they said they would give me store credit for the weapon. so im torn now, the remington has left a bad taste in my mouth. i originally chose it over the savage 10fcp but now with the store credit i can go back and get it. but ive always shot model 70 winchester and 700 remingtons. ive never shot a savage but im just disappointed with the 5r and really have no confidence in it no matter if they fix it or not. so what would u do guys??

Re: problems with rem 700 5r

I dumped the Remington bottom metal the second I received the 5r. It is just plain junk. However are you loading the rounds flush to the back of the magazine or are you just placing them wherever? There is a metal glide piece in which the spring and follower reside in. That has been known to be bent or having burrs that could effect the function of the feeding. All rifles today are thrown together pretty fast, sometimes you get a bad one sometimes not. It is a gamble when getting lower tier factory rifles no matter the make.

ive tried multiple ways loading the cartridge. all the way back. more towards the front and nothing really seems to help. still about 80% failure rate.

As frank has stated it is just the remington bottom metal. The follower is a POS. I have one maybe two remingtons that don't have feeding issues and both were made before i was born when Remington was till Remington. Best invest in a good DBM like Badger, seekins, Surgeon, etc. I get FTF all the time when doing a speed shoot at the range. Almost have to press check every time.

My 700 did the same thing. I put CDI bottom metal in it and I have a new love for the rifle.

how much are dbm systems? arent they like $300? for that i could get the savage with mcmillan and save $200. grrrr. i dunno what to do

i think ive decided to get the savage. now i just need to decide the mcmillan or h&s precision stock.? help plz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 700 did the same thing. I put CDI bottom metal in it and I have a new love for the rifle. </div></div>

Your kidding right? Unless your 5R doesn't shoot that would be a waste of money IMO. Get rid of the rifle over bottom metal? I wouldn't think you werent going to keep the 5R in it's default configuration anyway. You can always get a new hinged floorplate etc. instead of going with DBM. Also i've never seen a savage for 300$ in a McM stock...maybe i'm misinterpreting something.

no i meant that a dbm systems are around $300 correct? with that 300 bucks i could get the savage with a mcmillan (stock i like) and it already has a dbm and save $200. i dont care for the 5r's stock really anyway. unfortunately my wife is playing a role in the decision process as we are currently trying to have another little one so thats a factor as well. my dream would be to put the 5r in a mcmillan stock but even if i sell the stock stock i wold still be out around 350-400 bucks. and i guess i will always have that fear about the 5r failing to feed that last round. no big deal really unless shtf. i just cant decide for real on what to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rammerjammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much are dbm systems? arent they like $300? for that i could get the savage with mcmillan and save $200. grrrr. i dunno what to do </div></div>

In the CDI group buy it was somewhere around 150 plus AI mags.

check that--maybe closer to 175--whatever it was, it was worth it.

im sure it was worth it. it really drives me crazy that the rifle is doin that. although everyone has lemons though. ive always wanted to have a mcmillan stock or that h&s precision that comes on the savage. is there any difference in accuracy between the 5r and 10fcp? i loved the stainless but the rifling just makes it easier to clean with less fouling over standard rifling correct? its tearing my very soul.

My 700 was doing the same thing after i bedded it. The bedding raised it up enough to where the back of the follower didnt have enough pressure on it.

Just open up the floorplate and bend the spring, its not hard...just dont get cut.
TJ

remington sent me a new spring and i checked the difference between them and it was bent more. put that one in there but to no avail

Took it back to the retailer and they have trained gunsmiths who couldn't figure it out. They said they would give me refund and I ordered savage 10fcp h&s precision stock in 300 win mag. Hope it works out