• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problems with Rimfire truing and Cal DSF

AbbyKatt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2017
Saint George, Utah
Elite version 1.37

I'm trying to true my Kestrel for rimfire using the Cal DSF function.

I started by entering my actual drop at 50yd (I'm zeroed at 25yd) in the Cal DSF menu. Then I entered my actual drop at 75yd. What I then observed in the target card was that the estimated drop at 100yd would be 6.3mil. This is SO far off from the expected approx 2 mil that I now have no faith in any of the numbers.

Trying to work with a different gun profile, I tried to enter a drop correction for 75yds of 1.1mil, but the menu/entry field would not go lower than 1.5. The DSF number on the next line would change, but the actual drop number would not.

My desire is to true my ammo to 200yds and then let the Kestrel extrapolate for farther distances. But now I have no faith in any of the numbers and feel I need to delete the profiles and try again...or not.

Help!

Can you post your dope and a picture of your gun profile? I will try this myself to see what's up.

I need to check this when I get home.

Saw an error like this on the garmin 501 with .22 ammo.

AB never replied after several attempts to contact them.

I’ve always zeroed at 50 and trued dsf at 100-200-300-400-500 never had any issues I would recheck at your gun inputs and try that

Which curve did you use? The G1/G7? Or the custom curve? I found the SK custom curve to be surprisingly accurate to 400m, it’s a bit dicey but generally I’m in the area at 400m, 200 and less was lights out. I also didn’t do DSF for 22, I trued my MV a few FPS from my labradar.

Dumb question did you change your zero to 25y?

It’s going to have to be a major input error for it to be calling for 6mil to 100yd.

Like a big glowing error if it’s a user related input

Here is the profile I'm using for SK Yellow. The DOPE has always been .8-.9mil @ 75yd and 2+/-mil at 100. When I updated the firmware on my Kestrel, I decided to update my MV Temp table and re-true the Kestrel. There were no user input changes besides the tweaking of in the Cal DSF menu.

As usual...everything was fine before I messed with it!
IMG_3214.jpg

Is there a custom curve for SK Yellow? Or are you using the Center-X custom curve?

It didn't show 6 mil before I started with the DSF inputs.

write dope down and start all over. Make sure you’re using the step by step dsf guide they have.

If still not working, probably a software issue

That looks good to me, I think you’re down to something is majorly input wrong on the DSF data. Check the numbers there, if that’s good I would rebuild the gun from scratch. Checking the dope after each thing you modify.

Here is the profile I'm using for SK Yellow. The DOPE has always been .8-.9mil @ 75yd and 2+/-mil at 100. When I updated the firmware on my Kestrel, I decided to update my MV Temp table and re-true the Kestrel. There were no user input changes besides the tweaking of in the Cal DSF menu.

As usual...everything was fine before I messed with it!View attachment 7259380

Is there a custom curve for SK Yellow? Or are you using the Center-X custom curve?

I think I’m using the center-x curve. I didn’t even chrono my ammo. Input the box velocity and trued with dsf.

I haven’t missed a target at a match out to 300+ yds due to elevation in months. (Plenty if wind misses ?)