• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problems with Safety on Rem 700

kaotic504

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
North TEXAS
hey guys, i recently purchased a Remington 700 AAC-SD barreled action off the board. it came with the "old style" trigger group. when i installed it in my stock, sometimes, after cycling the action, i would not be able to engage the safety unless i cycled the action again. so i disassembled again, and re-assembled, yet again. well that for some unknown reason alleviated the issue. another issue i have is that periodically, when cycling the action, and putting it on safe, the firing pin drops. it doesn't happen all the time, the the few times it did happen is enough for me to be worried about the safety of this rifle. do you think if i put in an X-Mark Pro trigger, this will solve my issue?
Thanks!

Re: Problems with Safety on Rem 700

sounds like your trigger has been adjusted too low.

also the reason for the safety not working is that there is probably not enough room in the stock in the space for the trigger to allow the safety lever to move freely.

I would stop using it immediately and send it to a competent smith to correct it. You never know what was done to it in it's history so I would have it looked at asap.

Call Remington !!! You should be able to have your choice , new rifle, or same rifle new trigger

Just switch the trigger out with a Timney (or have your smith do it). Your current trigger is not adjuster correctly, and it could be good to go after a proper install and adjustment. The Timney should come adjusted to 3.0 lbs, so no need to dink with it. For $135 you get a nice trigger and a much more peace of mind.

Sounds to me like you're having the Walker trigger issue that got Remington the TV expose, "Remington under fire".

is it locking the firing pin back when it does this.if not it could be a really dirty trigger.dirt or to much oil in the trigger will do this.had the same to happen to me before I was tought the real way of keeping my rifel clean.( many years ago )after cleaning the trigger really good it went to working like it was ment to.lighter fluid will be the best friend for this if it's threson to your problem.

thanks for the suggestions. it was one of the older style factory triggers that was in it, but it had an upgraded hammer. i measured the pull weight at just a hair over 2#'s. luckily i was able to source a X-Mark Pro trigger off the board and i'm going to put that in and see what happens. i would like the Timney, and that may be an upgrade soon, but i'll have to hold on that for a bit. Thanks!

The Xmark can be adjusted to about 3 lbs, not the favorite of triggers, but Remmy made them with safety in mind. You could probably sell the older trigger to a smith and he can get it tuned up properly.