• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Procedure Prior to Pulling the Trigger

DustBun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2018
    Ocala, FL
    I have spent a lot of time searching for an answer to “What is the procedure/steps that need to be performed prior to pulling the trigger for accurately shooting long distance”. I always find the basic fundamentals but I have been exploring the details and the steps prior to the fundamentals, so I thought I would ask the question here. I imagine that this is subjective but I also think that there are some fundamentals that I do not know and I am open to advice.

I am shooting a Knights SR-25 E2 PR with a US Optics B-17. Now that I have added a Leica CRF 2800.com and a Kestrel 5700 Elite to my bag of toys I am really working on a procedure, a mental check list, which I need to do before pulling the trigger every time. After much thought I have created and am using the following procedure. I would appreciate any feedback/recommendations to improve my skills. Thank you.

1) Lase the target
    2) Get ballistic data from Kestrel
    3) Check DOPE book
    4) Add new conditions to DOPE book
    5) Open scope covers
    6) Unlock turrets
    7) Adjust elevation and windage turrets
    8) Lock turrets
    9) Load magazine
    10) Chamber a round
    11) Establish the correct/consistent position of the rifle stock in the shoulder cup
    12) Establish the correct/consistent cheek weld/position
    13) Establish Point of Aim (adjust bipod if necessary)
    14) Ensure body position is correct
    15) Adjust zoom
    16) Adjust parallax
    17) Load bipod
    18) Pull rifle stock into shoulder cup (It’s an SR-25 and this helps the accuracy)
    19) Re-adjust body position, if necessary
    20) Adjust rear bag
    21) Focus on target/reticle
    22) Concentrate on breathing
    23) Safety OFF
    24) Squeeze trigger

OMG
    I’m glad I don’t think out a mental checklist like that.
    I’d have to take a nap after all that.

Get rifle close to NPA
    Look at dope book and adjust scope or hold.
    Observation of wind if needed then sip coffee.
    Get behind rifle and perfect NPA.
    More coffee.
    Release fart if necessary.
    Get breathing in order
    Bang
    More coffee.

I have spent a lot of time searching for an answer to “What is the procedure/steps that need to be performed prior to pulling the trigger for accurately shooting long distance”. I always find the basic fundamentals but I have been exploring the details and the steps prior to the fundamentals, so I thought I would ask the question here. I imagine that this is subjective but I also think that there are some fundamentals that I do not know and I am open to advice.

I am shooting a Knights SR-25 E2 PR with a US Optics B-17. Now that I have added a Leica CRF 2800.com and a Kestrel 5700 Elite to my bag of toys I am really working on a procedure, a mental check list, which I need to do before pulling the trigger every time. After much thought I have created and am using the following procedure. I would appreciate any feedback/recommendations to improve my skills. Thank you.

1) Lase the target
    3) Check DOPE book
    5) Open scope covers
    6) Unlock turrets
    8) Lock turrets
    9) Load magazine
    10) Chamber a round
    11) Establish the correct/consistent position of the rifle stock in the shoulder cup
    15) Adjust zoom
    16) Adjust parallax
    17) Load bipod
    18) Pull rifle stock into shoulder cup (It’s an SR-25 and this helps the accuracy)
    20) Adjust rear bag
    23) Safety OFF
    24) Squeeze trigger

What do you do when you need to make a shot quickly?

What do you do when you need to make a shot quickly?
    You are correct, it wouldn't necessarily work in that situation. I am just trying to put together a sequence of events that I should follow so it becomes second nature. and wondered if others would, for instance, find the NPA before adjusting the turrets for some reason I had not considered. I'm probably over thinking it as usual.

You are correct, it wouldn't necessarily work in that situation. I am just trying to put together a sequence of events that I should follow so it becomes second nature. and wondered if others would, for instance, find the NPA before adjusting the turrets for some reason I had not considered. I'm probably over thinking it as usual.
    If you haven't already, I really enjoy the Youtube channel THLR.NO. Check out how he preps for a shot. I think he strikes a really good balance of detail and speed. His proficiency tests show him getting 1st round hits at 600+ yards within 1 min (including positioning, rifle setup, etc.) which is impressive to me - at least my skillset.

Reactions: DustBun
    If you haven't already, I really enjoy the Youtube channel THLR.NO. Check out how he preps for a shot. I think he strikes a really good balance of detail and speed. His proficiency tests show him getting 1st round hits at 600+ yards within 1 min (including positioning, rifle setup, etc.) which is impressive to me - at least my skillset.

Thank you. I'll check it out.

1) Lase the target
    3) Check DOPE book
    5) Open scope covers
    6) Unlock turrets
    8) Lock turrets
    9) Load magazine
    10) Chamber a round
    15) Adjust zoom
    16) Adjust parallax
    17) Load bipod
    20) Adjust rear bag
    23) Safety OFF
    24) Squeeze trigger
    This is a good start as long as you understand this is not a check list, but rather a procedure, like you said. I think we could do a couple things in a different order. I have re-arranged your list below and added comments.

0) evaluate wind while driving to range and getting your gear out.
    1) Lase the target
    2) Get ballistic data from Kestrel or check dope book/data
    2a) evaluate wind conditions and make initial wind call (bracket wind if possible)

3) Check DOPE book

We can either use a dope book or the kestral. If you have good data or program trust it. I would not check both. I would also only document the conditions if my dope was off and I have to make a correction. We don't typically record environmental at each outing anymore since we can run a ballistic program. The program is doing what we used to have to document and refer to.
    3) point the rifle towards the target
    4) position body in line with rifle.
    5) Open scope covers
    6) Unlock turrets - if needed
    7) Adjust elevation and windage turrets - most shooters hold for wind rather than dial.
    8) Lock turrets - I don't do this unless I'm transporting the rifle.
    9) Load magazine
    10) Chamber a round - not yet.
    11) Establish the correct/consistent position of the rifle stock in the shoulder cup - with correct body position straight behind the rifle we are usually not using the classic shoulder cup/pocket anymore. The rifle is usually more center of the body and on the collar bone.
    12b) build grip
    12c) load bipod
    12d) check sight picture through the scope.

13) Establish Point of Aim (adjust bipod if necessary) repeat 11 thru 12d if adjustment is needed
    20)
    Adjust rear bag
    15) adjust zoom
    16) adjust parallelax
    16a) check cant
    18)
    Pull rifle stock into shoulder cup
    14) Ensure body position is correct - aka check natural point of aim
    20) now load a round
    20a) make final wind call

23) Safety OFF
    24) Squeeze trigger
    25-40) recoil management, the forgotten fundamental.

This is a good start as long as you understand this is not a check list, but rather a procedure, like you said. I think we could do a couple things in a different order. I have re-arranged your list below and added comments.

0) evaluate wind while driving to range and getting your gear out.
    1) Lase the target
    2) Get ballistic data from Kestrel or check dope book/data
    2a) evaluate wind conditions and make initial wind call (bracket wind if possible)

3) Check DOPE book

We can either use a dope book or the kestral. If you have good data or program trust it. I would not check both. I would also only document the conditions if my dope was off and I have to make a correction. We don't typically record environmental at each outing anymore since we can run a ballistic program. The program is doing what we used to have to document and refer to.
    3) point the rifle towards the target
    4) position body in line with rifle.
    5) Open scope covers
    6) Unlock turrets - if needed
    7) Adjust elevation and windage turrets - most shooters hold for wind rather than dial.
    8) Lock turrets - I don't do this unless I'm transporting the rifle.
    9) Load magazine
    10) Chamber a round - not yet.
    11) Establish the correct/consistent position of the rifle stock in the shoulder cup - with correct body position straight behind the rifle we are usually not using the classic shoulder cup/pocket anymore. The rifle is usually more center of the body and on the collar bone.
    12b) build grip
    12c) load bipod
    12d) check sight picture through the scope.

13) Establish Point of Aim (adjust bipod if necessary) repeat 11 thru 12d if adjustment is needed
    20)
    Adjust rear bag
    15) adjust zoom
    16) adjust parallelax
    16a) check cant
    18)
    Pull rifle stock into shoulder cup
    14) Ensure body position is correct - aka check natural point of aim
    20) now load a round
    20a) make final wind call

23) Safety OFF
    24) Squeeze trigger
    25-40) recoil management, the forgotten fundamental.

Thank you for the input. There are some great points here that I will work with.

I think you're way over-complicating it, but that's just me.

Lasing/ballistics are done before I get behind the rifle at all. Usually kneeling or prone immediately next to it. I make any major adjustments at this point.

Once I'm behind the rifle, I do the following:

Assuming you've already loaded, etc:

First, build your "house" (i.e. your shooting position):
    1) Get comfortable (as comfortable as possible).
    2) Put the center crosshair on the target and level it...usually by manipulating a sand sock and/or bipod legs/cant.
    3) Check reticle focus (this mainly means parallax, but sometimes the ocular can be knocked out of adjustment).
    4) Once the reticle is centered, level and stable, I close my eyes, do a full breath cycle, and check the crosshair again. If it's back on target, I have found my natural point of aim. If not, I adjust until I can do the cycle without the reticle being shifted.
    5) Double-check safety is off.
    6) Put pressure on the trigger.
    7) One last check of the crosshair, and try to focus on it / watch it move as you...
    8) Fire the round.

If the shot looked / felt good, and I missed, I might make small adjustments here/there at this point. If it didn't feel good, I won't adjust anything.

EDIT: good point above about recoil management. Your rifle *will* move/shift under recoil. however if you built your "house" correctly, it should come right back on target (or very close to it). You know you're doing it right when you can spot your own impacts at shorter and shorter ranges.

Repeat ad infinitum. Some steps can be sped up / ignored if you're on the clock. Also, some positions are more difficult than others to do most or all of these steps in. Adjust as necessary.

I think you're way over-complicating it, but that's just me.

Lasing/ballistics are done before I get behind the rifle at all. Usually kneeling or prone immediately next to it. I make any major adjustments at this point.

Once I'm behind the rifle, I do the following:

Assuming you've already loaded, etc:

First, build your "house" (i.e. your shooting position):
    1) Get comfortable (as comfortable as possible).
    2) Put the center crosshair on the target and level it...usually by manipulating a sand sock and/or bipod legs/cant.
    3) Check reticle focus (this mainly means parallax, but sometimes the ocular can be knocked out of adjustment).
    4) Once the reticle is centered, level and stable, I close my eyes, do a full breath cycle, and check the crosshair again. If it's back on target, I have found my natural point of aim. If not, I adjust until I can do the cycle without the reticle being shifted.
    5) Double-check safety is off.
    6) Put pressure on the trigger.
    7) One last check of the crosshair, and try to focus on it / watch it move as you...
    8) Fire the round.

If the shot looked / felt good, and I missed, I might make small adjustments here/there at this point. If it didn't feel good, I won't adjust anything.

EDIT: good point above about recoil management. Your rifle *will* move/shift under recoil. however if you built your "house" correctly, it should come right back on target (or very close to it). You know you're doing it right when you can spot your own impacts at shorter and shorter ranges.

Repeat ad infinitum. Some steps can be sped up / ignored if you're on the clock. Also, some positions are more difficult than others to do most or all of these steps in. Adjust as necessary.
    I'm sure I am over thinking it but you also gave some great points, thank you. I am struggling with and working with the recoil management. I do much better with it in the prone than bench but this is my current focus of improvement. Thank you again for your input.

Reactions: shanejohnson2002
    I'm sure I am over thinking it but you also gave some great points, thank you. I am struggling with and working with the recoil management. I do much better with it in the prone than bench but this is my current focus of improvement. Thank you again for your input.

Stand behind the bench and lean into it likE a modified prone.

Hope that helps. It can be frustrating as fuck when you don't understand the cause/effect relationships that make your rifle jump all over the place.

Hope that helps. It can be frustrating as fuck when you don't understand the cause/effect relationships that make your rifle jump all over the place.
    It has been frustrating. I felt it had a lot to do with placement in the shoulder cup and natural POA. You have given me a lot to work with. Thank you.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Shooter understand the course of fire?
    1) pretty sure I do so I nod my head yes
    2)Oh shit there's the beep
    3)Stage my bag and rifle, load mag, how the fuck do I have the mag the wrong way, turn mag.
    4) where's the target? where's the target?
    5) How the hell can I get steady shot off of here, match director such a dick.
    6)close bolt
    7)Squeeze trigger, bang, no impact, what the hell. need to hold more wind or blind guy spotting.
    8) cycle bolt, hold more wind, "impact" now I got it.
    9)change dope,move to new position.
    10)repeat steps 4-6, get some more impacts.
    11)either run out of ammo or hear a beep
    12) unload, remove mag, put in chamber flag.
    13) walk away feeling humbled, thinking about the things I did right and the things I did wrong.

Thats too much to think about, thats why you train a lot and make it 3-4 unconscious movements. I think about different things while shooting, but it's always the same thing and the same start stop process.

Check out With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham (Olympic Gold medalist); it's a kinda of self-help book for athletes, but it is specific to shooting, and mental management.

Thats too much to think about, thats why you train a lot and make it 3-4 unconscious movements. I think about different things while shooting, but it's always the same thing and the same start stop process.

Check out With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham (Olympic Gold medalist); it's a kinda of self-help book for athletes, but it is specific to shooting, and mental management.

This, and "Secrets of Mental Marksmanship" - Linds Miller & Keith Cunningham.

Both books kinda go hand in hand. Same concepts but I felt the book I mentioned was an easier read. Its ALL about shooting. Both are invaluable tools for the game we play.

OMG
    I’m glad I don’t think out a mental checklist like that.
    I’d have to take a nap after all that.

Get rifle close to NPA
    Look at dope book and adjust scope or hold.
    Observation of wind if needed then sip coffee.
    Get behind rifle and perfect NPA.
    More coffee.
    Release fart if necessary.
    Get breathing in order
    Bang
    More coffee.

Works great if you have been doing this a while...

Couple weeks ago I was shooting with a group of guys and we had been bangin the steel between 300 and 1200yds when all of the sudden I Could not hit the 1000yd 2 MOA target. What the?!? Dope is same as it’s been all day. Finally someone chirped out “check parallax”.

Bang.
    Gong.

I like this checklist idea until I can drink my coffee at the same time I pull the trigger. Not there yet.

Attachments

• B899CA53-E29E-4A17-843D-83DF5051D710.jpeg
      B899CA53-E29E-4A17-843D-83DF5051D710.jpeg
      431.6 KB · Views: 45
    Works great if you have been doing this a while...

Couple weeks ago I was shooting with a group of guys and we had been bangin the steel between 300 and 1200yds when all of the sudden I Could not hit the 1000yd 2 MOA target. What the?!? Dope is same as it’s been all day. Finally someone chirped out “check parallax”.

Bang.
    Gong.

I like this checklist idea until I can drink my coffee at the same time I pull the trigger. Not there yet.

If you’re shooting prone and parallax is getting you on 2moa, you also have some cheekweld/sight picture issues to work on.

I'm thinking you are kind of mixing apples and oranges. You say you run through this check list before every shot, and many of the items are really important. But honestly, do you need to lase the target every time? or open the scope covers? And even items 6, 7 and 8 shouldn't change from shot to shot unless the wind or range are different.

You need a different set of check lists for different procedures: one for loading the car as you head to the range (how many times have you arrived without some essential piece of equipment, for example?). Another for when you arrive at the range and are carrying your equipment to the firing line. Another for setting up. Another as you range your target and check the wind. And finally, one for the shot itself. Oh, and then there's the check list for loading the car after shooting (I stupidly left a target stand at the range several months ago because I got interrupted as I was loading the truck and left them on the ground under the tail gate. Duh.)

If you add all those items together, you'd come up with a list even longer than what you have. But they are not all done before every shot. Analyze your list and break it down into different lists you will go through for each part of your range trip and shooting. It will cover all the basics, but only for procedures you are doing at different points of time during a range trip.

Just use @lowlight ”WTF.”

Wind - make initial wind call

Trajectory- dial proper dope (requires ranfe and such)

Fundamentals: Square behind rifle, sight picture, Natural point of aim, breathing, trigger control, follow through

Follow through leads you into same thing for next shot. You stay on glass and trigger until you see where the bullet impacts.

Wind: adjust if needed

Trajectory: adjust if needed

Fundamentals: fix if needed

Rinse and repeat

I'm thinking you are kind of mixing apples and oranges. You say you run through this check list before every shot, and many of the items are really important. But honestly, do you need to lase the target every time? or open the scope covers? And even items 6, 7 and 8 shouldn't change from shot to shot unless the wind or range are different.

You need a different set of check lists for different procedures: one for loading the car as you head to the range (how many times have you arrived without some essential piece of equipment, for example?). Another for when you arrive at the range and are carrying your equipment to the firing line. Another for setting up. Another as you range your target and check the wind. And finally, one for the shot itself. Oh, and then there's the check list for loading the car after shooting (I stupidly left a target stand at the range several months ago because I got interrupted as I was loading the truck and left them on the ground under the tail gate. Duh.)

If you add all those items together, you'd come up with a list even longer than what you have. But they are not all done before every shot. Analyze your list and break it down into different lists you will go through for each part of your range trip and shooting. It will cover all the basics, but only for procedures you are doing at different points of time during a range trip.
    You are correct, I should have been more specific on what I meant by "every shot". I meant what you are implying, I just didn't make it clear, my fault. Thank you.

Just use @lowlight ”WTF.”

Wind - make initial wind call

Trajectory- dial proper dope (requires ranfe and such)

Fundamentals: Square behind rifle, sight picture, Natural point of aim, breathing, trigger control, follow through

Follow through leads you into same thing for next shot. You stay on glass and trigger until you see where the bullet impacts.

Wind: adjust if needed

Trajectory: adjust if needed

Fundamentals: fix if needed

Rinse and repeat
    I am actually signing up for the on-line training this weekend. I imagine a lot more of my questions will be answered. Thank you.

Reactions: Dthomas3523