• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Process to make 338 Norma Mag From .338 Lapua ?

pc3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Australia
What are the steps involved to make .338 Norma Magnum Brass form .338 Lapua Brass.

I have opted to chamber for the .338 Norma Magnum and give it a whirl................

cheers PC.

Re: Process to make 338 Norma Mag From .338 Lapua ?

So there is no parent case...............I thought it was based of the .416 rigby or .338 LM

I'm sure it can be done. You might want to give hornady a call and get one of there hydrolic die set It should allow you to form 338 lm brass to the norma.

You may also want to contact Have None here on the hide as he is the cartridge designer.

I should rephrase as I am spreading hearsay.... my understanding is that this is a bad idea as the Norma has some different dimensions in the case....but I defer to thems that know.

Robert, perhaps it can be done, but is it a good idea?

I thought it might be like trimming to length running through norma .338 die and then you fire form the case upon first fireing ?

Its going to take more than one step to get their.

CK what is that step ?

trying to neck the shoulder of the Lapua case down to .338 would take a couple dies minimum, and then you would need to ream the necks to keep them from getting too thick. Then you would need a fire-form to complete it. Maybe a hydraulic setup could do it in one step, but I have my reservations...

Dave

I asked Jimmie Sloan about turning my .338LM brass into .338NM. If I remember correctly he said it takes seven steps. I'm gonna wear out my .338LM first and then build a .338NM.

I actually wonder if .416 Rigby Basic brass would do it................ I think there is such a thing. then it would be trim and run through the die. I am going tobuy 300 or so cases should keep me right until this round makes it way to Aussie Land.

Well that would be extra steps and dies. Your not going to get away with no neck reaming, The closer you get to the web the thicker the brass. Bumping the shoulder back .2 takes alot of work its not like making a 6.5x47 lapua into 6x47 lapua.