• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ProChrono DLX. Opinions?

J. W.

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2023
NW LA
I’m in need of a chronograph and I’m also a tightwad. 😁

I do not compete, but I do enjoy reloading and trying to get as much precision as I can with my loads within reason.
I don’t really want to shell out Labradar money if something else will work. The price of the Magnetospeed is more reasonable to me, but then I’m not a fan of something hanging off the barrel. Buy the contraption that mounts it on the rod, and I think you’re back to being almost at the price of the Labradar.

So is this ProChrono DLX any good, or is it junk? Looking for anyone that’s had some experience with it. Especially if you’ve had experience with it and the Magnetospeed and/or Labradar. Trying to figure out which would be the smartest option to suit my needs.

I still have my original USA manufactured Pro Chrono and it works just like it did when it was new back in 1989. Yep, you read that correctly.

It's been put up against Labradar and Magnetospeeds.
It reads within 10fps of the others also.
It is subject to weird lighting conditions and stray shit from braked rifles on either side of you, so you need to keep that in mind.

Just like any other chrono, setup is important.
For the price it's fantastic, although you'll need a tripod to attach it to. Factor that into the cost.

Don't shoot it in the face...

Reactions: mtrmn and J. W.
I still have my original USA manufactured Pro Chrono and it works just like it did when it was new back in 1989. Yep, you read that correctly.

It's been put up against Labradar and Magnetospeeds.
It reads within 10fps of the others also.
It is subject to weird lighting conditions and stray shit from braked rifles on either side of you, so you need to keep that in mind.

Just like any other chrono, setup is important.
For the price it's fantastic, although you'll need a tripod to attach it to. Factor that into the cost.

Don't shoot it in the face...
This sums it right up. When the sun is low on the horizon it can cause some issues at times, but in general, it works as should, the bluetooth is nice also.

Reactions: J. W.
This sums it right up. When the sun is low on the horizon it can cause some issues at times, but in general, it works as should, the bluetooth is nice also.

Mine is so old that I had to make my own reset/menu button and cord.
The original sky screens were cardboard with a piece of opaque plastic in them. 😄

I have a ProChrono LTD. It might be just old enough to be outside the two year warranty.

Ran great. I am more concerned with ES and SD for load development, and the readings were very consistent. True accuracy wasn't off by by much when I plugged the velocity in and shot at distance. I don't ever remember being off by more than .1 mil.

Direct sunlight is your enemy. I found that running masking tape on the rods that hold the diffusers to block direct sunlight prevented error or wild readings.

Changed the battery not long ago, it lasted a while.

Last two times out though, I can't get it to take a frigging reading at all. Maybe the 9V I put in it was a POS? Going to have to go out and buy some new ones and give that a try. Right now everything works perfectly...until you put a round over it and it stays at "0".

I have a ProChrono LTD. It might be just old enough to be outside the two year warranty.

Ran great. I am more concerned with ES and SD for load development, and the readings were very consistent. True accuracy wasn't off by by much when I plugged the velocity in and shot at distance. I don't ever remember being off by more than .1 mil.

Direct sunlight is your enemy. I found that running masking tape on the rods that hold the diffusers to block direct sunlight prevented error or wild readings.

Changed the battery not long ago, it lasted a while.

Last two times out though, I can't get it to take a frigging reading at all. Maybe the 9V I put in it was a POS? Going to have to go out and buy some new ones and give that a try. Right now everything works perfectly...until you put a round over it and it stays at "0".
How exactly did you put the tape?

Literally stuck it on the outside of the metal rod in a couple layers. Maybe a 3" wide by 3" tall piece...just enough to get a shadow over the window for the sensor. Nothing in the inside of the triangle where the rounds fly. Worked like a charm. Won't last in high winds though.

During the summer months I stuck a 'high speed internet' advertisement road sign (similar to a political candidate sign) that some a-hole stuck in my property over the top of the diffusers. The shadow was enough to cover the sensor windows, and it too worked like a charm. The sun's position in the winter though is too far south for that to work.

Keeping direct sunlight off of the sensors, I might get an error or wild (400 FPS off) reading once every 25-30 shots. Put my ProChrono in direct sunlight though and it would happen about every 5th shot.

Sorry for the shit photo, trying not to show what's in the shop. I realized my explanation earlier might not be as clear to others as it is to me.

This is how I make my ghetto-ass sun shade...unfortunately a piece of tape has fallen off. I am just trying to provide shade for the window/sensor without putting anything where it might compromise a reading. It works for me.

20230204_090328.jpg

ETA: I thought I posted this in the target thread. Sorry for cluttering this thread up.

At one time I welded up a metal frame out of scrap angle iron for holding targets... I drilled holes in it and used 1/4-20 bolts with washers to attach binder clips to hold paper targets at 100.

I also added provisions for hanging steel gong targets for longer ranges.

It worked good for a while... But it died a violent death after being off on windage a bit at 700 yards. I got tired of welding strap steel across the places where strays blew it apart.

I finally gave up and started using scrap lumber for frames... A bit cheaper and more easily repaired with cordless tools out in the hay field.

I also got a couple of the Caldwell gong hangers on sale after Christmas... They slip on a 2x4 and I've been studying on how to set them up. Thought about setting a 2x4 in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete... But if a shot goes low then it's ruined and I have a 5 gallon bucket of concrete with a blown out 2x4 sticking out of it. Maybe grease the snot out of the 2x4 as a release agent so I can slip it out of the concrete and leave a "socket" so the board can be replaced as needed.

Anyway... Dragging this thread way off track.

Mike

When I was still using an optical (Chrony) I made a full length shade out of aluminum window screen mesh. It was rigid enough to support itself, no issues from wind and an errant strike wasn't going to damage a sensor or the display unlike hitting a rod.

I have one, it wound up costing me about the same as a Labradar. See, I shot it in the face. Swapped a scope between two rifles, and dialed to dope offset between the two backwards, so down instead of up, and put two or three into it before I hit something solid and turned it inside out. So then I had to break down and buy a scope for the second gun so that would never happen again.

They will replace one for 1/2 msrp if you were to do the same, so some day I'll probably return and replace it.

Prior to my idiocy it ran fine other than the normal issues with a sky screen chrono of too much or too little light.