• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

producing your own projectiles

gruntbull

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2008
www.gruntbull.com
Anyone here make their own projectiles?
Mainly 223 and 308? Any input would be appreciated.

As for pistol I do like making my boolits, but that's another forum... Nothing like a "free" projectile leaving your bore.

I am interested in specific information on gear tried and trusted, things to steer from, as well as jacket production. Ive read it on the net, but figured due to this forums unique customer base Id see if there is any reason to look into rolling my own rifle rounds. I am certain that there is big potential for issues with repeatable accuracy but if you have found a method or equipment that keeps that down, Im all eyeballs.

Re: producing your own projectiles

No tooling for making jackets is available. There are some less costly dies for converting .22 RF cases to plinking grade .22 jackets.

Last I heard, good quality dies for assembling handmade jacketed bullets were running near $600, but that was maybe 15-20 years ago. Corbin/Walnut Hill swaging presses aren't cheap either. Nor are jackets, lead core wire, etc.

Handmade bullets make sense if you want something you can't buy. Doing it to save money doesn't make sense, IMHO.

If you're looking for plinking ammo, (tin cans at 50 yards) Corbin stuff is OK. But for making match quality ammo, it isn't in the same ball park as Niemi solid carbide dies. Be sure to loosen your purse strings before you start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No tooling for making jackets is available. There are some less costly dies for converting .22 RF cases to plinking grade .22 jackets. Not true, Both corbins make die's to make you own jackets, You can also make jackets with various rifle, pistol cases. I used to make .50 BMG projos using 7mm Mag. cases.

Last I heard, good quality dies for assembling handmade jacketed bullets were running near $600, but that was maybe 15-20 years ago. Corbin/Walnut Hill swaging presses aren't cheap either. Nor are jackets, lead core wire, etc.

Handmade bullets make sense if you want something you can't buy. Doing it to save money doesn't make sense, IMHO. </div></div>