• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Product recall for certain 3M PELTOR COMTAC Hearing Defender headsets

fastfwd

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Silicon Valley, CA
FYI: 3M recently issued a product recall for certain PELTOR COMTAC headsets, and a product advisory notice for others.

From the recall letter:

3M recently discovered that the sound localization performance of the 3M PELTOR COMTAC Hearing Defender headsets can be negatively affected by a wiring issue. Although hearing protection and sound detection capabilities are not affected by the issue, .... it is possible that users may experience greater challenges in field operations from the diminished ability to localize the sound.
All products in this chart are subject to recall:

Code:
Product Number       Serial Numbers
MT17H682FB-FB          01 - 01938
MT17H682FB-09 CY       57 - 5831
MT17H682FB-09 FG       01 - 11744
MT17H682FB-09 SV       01 - 4859
MT17H682BB-09 CY       06 - 1024
MT17H682P3AD-09 SV     01 - 0752

ACTION REQUIRED: For Hearing Defender headsets listed in the chart above:
  • Please discontinue use of your Hearing Defender headset in tactical operations where sound localization is required.
  • Please call 3M PELTOR Customer Service Line at 1-800-328-1667, Option #2 and then Option #1 to arrange shipment for repair or replacement at our discretion.
To identify the affected products, refer to the sticker located on the bottom of the right earcup.

The product advisory notice is for these headsets, which apparently suffer from the same problem as the headsets in the chart above, but were sold without any claim from 3M with respect to their sound localization performance:

Code:
Product Number       Serial Numbers
MT17H682FB-09 SIG      01 - 0547

3M advises that these headsets should not be used in activities where sound localization may affect safety, and they are offering complimentary repair or replacement for any customers who are concerned or dissatisfied with the performance of the affected units (contact 3M PELTOR Customer Service Line at 1-800-328-1667, Option #2 and then Option #1).

Attachments

• Hearing Defender Product Advisory DM SIGNED.pdf
    304.9 KB · Views: 56
  • FinalRecallLetter.pdf
    422.9 KB · Views: 48
FYI -- Been on the phone most of the morning with 3M/Peltor trying to get mine replaced/repaired under this recall. I keep getting bounced from department to department because no one seems to know where to send me. I started with the phone number on the recall and keep getting handed off. If anyone figures out the secret password to get someone who actually knows what's going on... please share :(

There's an email address in the recall notice that might be helpful if the telephone support isn't working: [email protected]

If all else fails, you might try directly contacting the people who signed the letters: Doug Moses for the products covered by the advisory notice or Brian Myers for the recalled products. The format for 3M email addresses is [email protected] .

I just purchased a set of the Peltor Comtac 3's last week from Enviro Safety Products on 6/6/2019, and mine are good to go. FYI, speaking with Peltor customer service today, I was told that all serial numbers that start with the letter "M" have been corrected and are not affected by the recall.

Last edited: