• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Production Falcon 5-25X50MM - First Impression

Snipers

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Pros</span></span>

Optical clarity is good – some fuzziness at the outer edges.

The windage/elevation (W/E) knobs are a bit more tactile than the 4.5X18 Falcon. Not a big difference - but noticeable.

I think the three screw W/E knobs are an improvement. It is much easier to zero the knobs compared to the 4.5X18 Falcon.

I’m not having any problems with ocular alignment. I can set up very quickly with it, but it’s not a hunting scope – at least for furry, four legged animals. Once I make a range trip I can write more about this and the eye relief. I don't think eye relief should be a problem for a rifle with reasonable “kick”. Magnum rifles should be able make use of the scope, depending on weight, stock configuration, and severity of the recoil. The rubber piece on the ocular is quite substantial and can save you if you let yourself get too close – just don’t use the supplied flip cap (hard, sharp plastic on the end). There is also a dot on the ocular to indicate magnification setting (not on pre-production model).

The ML16 reticle is pretty easy to see and use at low magnification. At high magnification it gets thick, but the target should get large as well. Personally, I don’t find it objectionable. I imagine a 25X SFP optic would provide a better target picture for long range paper punching.

At first glance, the scope looks solid. It’s a serious looking optic without any advertisement (names, markings, etc.).

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Cons </span></span>

The rubbery paint used on the magnification ring feels ok, but looks like an afterthought. Falcon could do a better job applying the coat.

All the knobs had the finish rubbed-off at the edges. I happened to have some “aluminum black” that corrected the problem.

The optic does not focus at less than 25-30 feet, and that’s at the lowest power setting (5.5X). Higher magnification needs much longer distances. My 4.5X18 Falcon can focus at 30 feet at the highest magnification.

So far I’m happy with it – will make a trip to the range and provide update later.

Re: Production Falcon 5-25X50MM - First Impression

The cover doesn't stay on the objective. The ocular cap is tighter. Not a big deal. Use some thin rubber weather stripping (or something similar) and stick inside the cap to tighten the fit. It looks good and works well. The caps aren't that bad otherwise, and it saves a few bucks.

My rear flip up is already broken.. The spring can't hold it upright..
Does any of yours have the alignment on the Elevation to be one click to the right, when I look down the scope I noticed that the markings under the elevation turret is not on line with the scope..
Anyway do you think it matters..

I got the Enhanced Mil dot, I dont see my cross to be too thick..

I guess it's Butler Creek time for you.

The three screw turrets should be able to line up on the hash marks. This was a problem on the older turret design. I didn't have the problem on my 4.5X18 model, but it was still occasionally a pain to get the turret on and lined up properly.

The reticle is fine for target use. However, a second focal plane optic with a fine cross hair would be better for shooting tiny targets. This scope will most likely be used for paper targets - unless some poor country's military decides to use it. The scope design is geared towards tactical targets (people size targets - to be politically incorrect).

I agree the scope caps on the Falcon SUCK.

The objective cover "shoots off" under recoil and the rear cover will slap you in the head if it's at 12 o'clock.

Falcon should ditch the caps and just include a bikini cover or nothing at all. I consider the factor caps part of the packaging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it's Butler Creek time for you.

The three screw turrets should be able to line up on the hash marks. This was a problem on the older turret design. I didn't have the problem on my 4.5X18 model, but it was still occasionally a pain to get the turret on and lined up properly.
</div></div>

Oh no. The turrets line up perfect.. It's the vertical line UNDER the turret which marks up an down scale, which is one click of..
Butler Creek comes next week.

DSC01086.jpg

It's hard to get a pic which shows the right angle, but I put the 0 where I thougt it should be..

The offset is for lefty shooters right eye position, so it looks more "centered" for them...

No? Oh well, I tried.

TCW's review is about the same for me as well. Although I could focus mine around 30 feet and I think the EMD reticle is good on the highest magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it's Butler Creek time for you.

</div></div>

Oh no. The turrets line up perfect.. It's the vertical line UNDER the turret which marks up an down scale, which is one click of..
Butler Creek comes next week.

DSC01086.jpg

It's hard to get a pic which shows the right angle, but I put the 0 where I thougt it should be..</div></div> just sight it in and take the cap off and put it on zero.

Hey random question, but what is aluminum black? And do you think it would help me touch up some scuffings on my Remington bolt handle?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey random question, but what is aluminum black? And do you think it would help me touch up some scuffings on my Remington bolt handle?

Thanks </div></div>

It is an alternate chemical version of liquid blueing, except it works on aluminum, not steel. Your Remmy bolt is steel, so any blueing compound would work fine. Check the refinishing aisle at Gander Mountain for a few options made by Birchwood-Casey.

STILL WAITING ON ALL THOSE COOL FALCON 5-25x PICS!

Well I tried the scope out today, but only fired 10 rounds. I was able to sight in using four rounds and fired one six round group at one hundred yards. I did notice a couple of things.

Shooting from the bench at 25X requires a perfect eye to ocular alignment. If it wasn't perfect, the view was blurry. I can't say it was as pronounced standing. Maybe the alignment is more natural standing. At 5.5 to 10X it was less of an issue. I think I understand what the pre-production review was getting at in this regard. I can't say I noticed it playing around with the scope the day before, but when I got down to "business" I noticed it. Eye relief wasn't a problem. I didn't do any tracking tests, but I was able to sight in very quickly making windage and elevation adjustments based on visual references. The six rounds went into a one inch orange dot (.535 inch to be exact) using an AR10T rifle. Ammo was match quality.

So far I like the scope. I had a Leupold law enforcement 3.5X10X40MM on it before. The extra magnification is handy and allows me to be more precise in placing the crosshair. Group size was pretty good for a semi-auto.

Can you post more pics of your Falcon? Thanks, Joseph

I shot about 50 rounds with mine after sighting it in. Anyone else have a problem with the windage turret marks not matching up with the hash on the scope itself. magnification ring very very stiff to adjust, maybe that will loosen up, I hope.Those are my only very little complaints, I usually just hold anyways just an observation. Scope is flat out bad ass. Just tring to get use to the Mil set up, but thats just me. +1 for Falcon.

One more question how many MILS or MOA of internal travel does this scope have?

Thanks,
Joseph

Hard to find specs for the scope because Falcon's website has been down for some time. I would imagine 75 MOA or more of elevation adjustment. This would be consistent with their other models.

Can't you just crank the knobs up and down real quick?

pics aren't that great but so far it seems like a nice scope. Its the 50mm version
CIMG0294.jpg

CIMG0295.jpg

CIMG0296-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I tried the scope out today, but only fired 10 rounds. I was able to sight in using four rounds and fired one six round group at one hundred yards. I did notice a couple of things.

Shooting from the bench at 25X requires a perfect eye to ocular alignment. If it wasn't perfect, the view was blurry. I can't say it was as pronounced standing. Maybe the alignment is more natural standing. At 5.5 to 10X it was less of an issue. I think I understand what the pre-production review was getting at in this regard. I can't say I noticed it playing around with the scope the day before, but when I got down to "business" I noticed it. Eye relief wasn't a problem. I didn't do any tracking tests, but I was able to sight in very quickly making windage and elevation adjustments based on visual references. The six rounds went into a one inch orange dot (.535 inch to be exact) using an AR10T rifle. Ammo was match quality.

So far I like the scope. I had a Leupold law enforcement 3.5X10X40MM on it before. The extra magnification is handy and allows me to be more precise in placing the crosshair. Group size was pretty good for a semi-auto. </div></div>

Regarding having to have perfect eye alignment behind the scope: what's the MAX mag you can go to before its noticible? Did you own a 4-16 in the past to compare to?

Is this model available yet?thinking of one for an Remington sps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC01086.jpg

</div></div>

Properly marked turrets... big plus!

Went and sighted mine in yesterday as well. The only real gripe I have is that the vertical elevation mark as seen in palle2612's pic doesn't go all the way down to the base of the scope. With my 20 moa rail I'm all the way at the bottom and couldn't see what click I was on. I drew a line down to the base with a pencil until I can find something more perminate. If they put $100 more into the quality and finer touches this scope would be a knockout.

DirtRacer151, thanks for the pics. You da man!

Anybody figured out the total elevation adjustment yet? The other models are 75 MOA I wonder if the 5-25 has less. Thanks, Joseph

Adjustment range will be 18.0MRAD with 6.0MRAD per turn.

Nick W

Falcon Optics

<span style="font-style: italic">This was what I got asking same question, but I dont know what that is in MOA

Palle </span>

The eye relief will work for magnums.....At least a 300wsm
smile.gif

No racoon eye yet
grin.gif

-Pat

Well glad to hear it, I have a 300wsm and was thinking of getting one of these, but the recoil was what worried me.
Ubet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adjustment range will be 18.0MRAD with 6.0MRAD per turn.

Nick W

Falcon Optics

<span style="font-style: italic">This was what I got asking same question, but I dont know what that is in MOA

Palle </span> </div></div> 18 mrad would be approximately 63 moa

Tried out my new 5-25X50MM today. I am frankly surprised at the clarity of the glass. Waited to after sunset scoping houses cars and landscape at + 2K. Knobs have positive clicks and the lens flip ups a little loose but easily fixed with layer of tissue paper. Eye relief enough without problems. Overall very pleased. Will do a side by side with S&B PMII and Leupy MK4 tomorrow. I expect then will notice any differences in the glass.

What reticle has everyone gone with on the new 5-25x? I had read a review on ar15.com that someone mentioned that they thought there had been slight changes in the reticles in the new scope. Pics also much appreicated.

I have two SPS Tacticals that need scopes (.223 & .308). I've settled on the Falcon pending money and a final decision on which reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I got the Enhanced Mil Dot with my 25x model. </div></div>

I'm mistaken. Read in the gb only one available

I just bought some B/C covers for my scopes and the # 19 eye (1.730")works well for both the 4-14's and the 5-25's on the eyepiece. As for the objective cover I'm not sure what # it is cause I lost the package, but I know it's the one that's 2.320" diam. will work but it's a little tight.

Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: runewulf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what size Butler Creek the Falcon 5.5-25x50 uses? (NOT the 56!)

Thanks! </div></div>

Got it on mine:
43 front (very tight) 19 rear..
Palle