• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Production or Open class in PRS

kmontang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
Looking to formally jump into PRS and had a couple of questions I'm hoping to find the answer to on here. Basically I'm on the fence between shooting production vs. open class, and I want to make sure I make the right choice-

First, for Production Class there is language about the rifle being in "original manufacturer's configuration." I ordered a Seekins Havak Bravo, which has the KRG Bravo chassis. If I add the adjustable LOP accessory to this stock, will that bump me to open division, since it is not the 100% original configuration? There is also a line that says "All other equipment that can be mounted to or added to your rifle that doesn’t significantly increase accuracy will be considered accessories and will not be regulated," so I'm not really sure which applies here.

Second. I think I know the answer to this, but when they say "retail" on a scope, I'm guessing they mean MSRP as listed on the website, not widely accepted street price? For example, the Razor HD Gen 2 has a "retail" of $2899, but when you go to "where to buy," everyone and their brother has them for $1999.99

You and the other 4 people shooting production can help each other out, till you run up against an open shooter with a cherry picked 'production' rifle anyway.

Looking to formally jump into PRS and had a couple of questions I'm hoping to find the answer to on here. Basically I'm on the fence between shooting production vs. open class, and I want to make sure I make the right choice-

First, for Production Class there is language about the rifle being in "original manufacturer's configuration." I ordered a Seekins Havak Bravo, which has the KRG Bravo chassis. If I add the adjustable LOP accessory to this stock, will that bump me to open division, since it is not the 100% original configuration? There is also a line that says "All other equipment that can be mounted to or added to your rifle that doesn’t significantly increase accuracy will be considered accessories and will not be regulated," so I'm not really sure which applies here.

Second. I think I know the answer to this, but when they say "retail" on a scope, I'm guessing they mean MSRP as listed on the website, not widely accepted street price? For example, the Razor HD Gen 2 has a "retail" of $2899, but when you go to "where to buy," everyone and their brother has them for $1999.99
The length of pull accessory is that an accessory. If it in bolts it's good to go. If you have to machine something then its a modification. Retail is retail. What you can buy it for doesn't count.
If you have a production rifle then shoot production. It's not like you shoot a different course of fire. I see no reason to start in open if your gear fits in production. But if you have the money to buy a lot better gear then do it and skip production