• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Profiling barreled action

censored

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
AZ
Hey yall. I have a nice 300 WinMag build, but when it was built the barrel was not profiled. So basically it has a 30" bull barrel which makes the gun super heavy. I would like to have it cut to 26" and threaded, but most importantly, I would like the barrel profiled. Is this something that the barrel would need to come out of the action for, or can profiling be done on the barreled action? Probably doesn't matter, but it is a Surgeon 1086. Also, any recommendations on where to have a barreled profiled? I am in AZ so something local to Tucson or Phoenix would be great. Thank you.

Sorry, but not sure I would trust someone to reprofile my barrel. These are normally done by the barrel manufacturer. Just get another barrel, call the good people at Southern Precision (Bugholes).

Isn't profiling part of the normal build process when a barrel is purchased as a blank?

Reactions: Chris W.
Usually people buy a barrel with a profile already cut.
Who made the barrel? is it cut or button rifled?
If it's cut rifled no problem to profile it and basically anyone with a lathe could do that for you.
If it's button rifled don't do it, get a new tube or keep it as a heavy target gun.

Reactions: censored
I
Usually people buy a barrel with a profile already cut.
Who made the barrel? is it cut or button rifled?
If it's cut rifled no problem to profile it and basically anyone with a lathe could do that for you.
If it's button rifled don't do it, get a new tube or keep it as a heavy target gun.

It is a Kreiger barrel, but I don't know who chambered it and how they did it. I may be able to go through my texts and figure it out.

button vs cut is how the rifling was formed. I believe Krieger only does cut rifling so you should be fine to profile that barrel if you choose.
Nothing to do with the chamber. I wouldn't doubt if the guy that chambered it will profile it for you.

button vs cut is how the rifling was formed. I believe Krieger only does cut rifling so you should be fine to profile that barrel if you choose.
Nothing to do with the chamber. I wouldn't doubt if the guy that chambered it will profile it for you.

Found in my old texts that it was built by Steven Clake. There are some references to him on this forum being a reputable builder.

This is the gun guys. Maybe I should just part it out?

FB_IMG_1694576076504.jpg

Again talk to Southern Precisions, a BugNut barrel could fit your action and are easy to install or so I have been told.

Reactions: censored