• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Progress At 200 (pic)

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
Here is 25 rounds at 200 yards. It was very still today. That's the problem. In order for me to make any real progress at 200 it has to be a VERY still day. The first thing to keep in mind is that this is also the target I sighted in on straight from 100. So all of the shots I really made are inside the red circle. The second thing is that I had to be somewhere and was really short on time. So I didn't fine tune the sighting (why they are mostly to the right), and was just kinda banging away instead of taking my time. Once I fine tune the sighting I should be all good. But with those things in mind I was pretty pleased.
smile.gif

Oh yeah. all the pasters are gone cause I use them for 100 yard targets. None are used here.

Target1_200.jpg

Re: Progress At 200 (pic)

looks like a hell of a good group, just a slight windage adjustment is needed from your original zero. when you get that data down, put it in a data book, you should be GTG. you can then take that information (fps, sight height, bullet weight, actual drop from 50 to 100 or 100 to 200 etc.)and put into a bc calculator, determine wind speed (i like to go in increments of 3mph,5,7,9,11,13, up to 15 mph), and put the adjustments in a windage chart so you can be shooting on a not so still day, and still be in the neighborhood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like a hell of a good group, just a slight windage adjustment is needed from your original zero. when you get that data down, put it in a data book, you should be GTG. you can then take that information (fps, sight height, bullet weight, actual drop from 50 to 100 or 100 to 200 etc.)and put into a bc calculator, determine wind speed (i like to go in increments of 3mph,5,7,9,11,13, up to 15 mph), and put the adjustments in a windage chart so you can be shooting on a not so still day, and still be in the neighborhood. </div></div>

Thanks! Yeah I usually just write that stuff on the back of the target, but that's a better idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBLongRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are using .17hmr? It will not buck the wind...Unless your taking your time and constantly adjusting for the breeze :p </div></div>

Yup. At 100 yards I could shoot that thing in a hurricane. After that it falls flat on it's face.

I write info on targets as well, but keep a log book too.
In the evening when others wear out their bore with cleaning equipment, I go over the targets and notes, plus the log data and make more comprehensive notes for later use. I have developed this method from the frustration of going back to a target to get info and some critical piece of info isn't there, and can't coordinate the target to a log entry.
Oh, and I would say your 200 stuff is looking pretty good. You have me thinking I need to pry the .17HMR away from my boy for a little bench session.

Put some wind flags out
Even streamers @ 50yd marks will let you pic like conditions.