• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Progressive press for 300 norma mag?

PSizzle

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2021
IL
So I was under the impression that the Dillon 550c with a "G" Shell plate would work, but when I called Dillon today, they told me that was not the case. Apparently the shell plate isn't quite right and won't hold the cases correctly.

Apparently you can Dremel out the shell plate to get it to work, but something like that sounds... suboptimal; take off a little too much material in one direction or the other and i can imagine all sorts of issues from an improperly aligned shell plate with the tool head causing issues.

So this seems to leave me with 3 potential options;

1) Buy something different; is there a different progressive press that can run 300 and/or 338 norma mag?

2) Buy something aftermarket; does someone make an aftermarket shell plate for the 550c (or 650/750) that I can use to reliably load 330 and/or 338 norma mag?

3) Wait for Dillon to do it themselves...but who knows when that will be.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!

So I was under the impression that the Dillon 550c with a "G" Shell plate would work, but when I called Dillon today, they told me that was not the case. Apparently the shell plate isn't quite right and won't hold the cases correctly.

Apparently you can Dremel out the shell plate to get it to work, but something like that sounds... suboptimal; take off a little too much material in one direction or the other and i can imagine all sorts of issues from an improperly aligned shell plate with the tool head causing issues.

So this seems to leave me with 3 potential options;

1) Buy something different; is there a different progressive press that can run 300 and/or 338 norma mag?

2) Buy something aftermarket; does someone make an aftermarket shell plate for the 550c (or 650/750) that I can use to reliably load 330 and/or 338 norma mag?

3) Wait for Dillon to do it themselves...but who knows when that will be.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!

Kind of weird they still haven't made a specific one in ~8 years now but the G can work but may take a bit of dremel work.

Kind of weird they still haven't made a specific one in ~8 years now but the G can work but may take a bit of dremel work.
Maybe I should order just the shell plate from them and try my hand at it before getting the whole thing and having it not work 🤣🤣🤣

Not seen 3rd party shell plates yet, would think someone would fill that niche. But careful hand fitting will do what you need.

Not seen 3rd party shell plates yet, would think someone would fill that niche. But careful hand fitting will do what you need.
Noted. Just noticed something on Dillon's website. They now have a shell plate for 338 Lapua (62244), but on their PDF for caliber conversions, they still say get a G. Anyone know what's up with that? I'll try calling them tomorrow if not and I'll share the info here.

Noted. Just noticed something on Dillon's website. They now have a shell plate for 338 Lapua (62244), but on their PDF for caliber conversions, they still say get a G. Anyone know what's up with that? I'll try calling them tomorrow if not and I'll share the info here.

So there is a discrepancy between their menu and the PDF (now very OOD) besides the new .338 Lapua plate number.

There IS a .300/.338 Norma shell plate now, #62453 it is listed as out of stock, back order only though.

So there is a discrepancy between their menu and the PDF (now very OOD) besides the new .338 Lapua plate number.

There IS a .300/.338 Norma shell plate now, #62453 it is listed as out of stock, back order only though.
YEEEEEESSSSSS. That's awesome!

this is the direct answer I got from Dillon Support in March, after I bought the 338 lapua kit and it didn't fit my 300 norma Lapua brass. Doh!

300 Norma requires its own unique shellplate. It does not interchange with 338 Lapua.

300 Norma shellplate is #62453.

I ended up just buying at redding T7 press to do the 300 norma stuff.

this is the direct answer I got from Dillon Support in March, after I bought the 338 lapua kit and it didn't fit my 300 norma Lapua brass. Doh!

I ended up just buying at redding T7 press to do the 300 norma stuff.

Bummer, but that's a nice press too. Was def one I was thinking about.

Modifying the G shellplate takes about 15 minutes, and is hassle free. Most of the work needs to be done on the lead in corners, with only a little easing to the interior. I used a dremel stone, which cuts pretty slowly. Basically you ease it until the case slides in, then polish until it holds firmly, but you can turn the case without dragging. Just mimic the fit you get from a "normal" shellplate.

I'm not sure why the Lapua plate doesn't work. I always thought they were the same at the base, and they use the same Redding shellholder, but the Lapua also fits the G plate without mods.