• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Progressive Reloading Press Recommendations

D Baker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
Austin, TX
I am looking to upgrade to a progressive press. Any recommendations on which brand and/or model I should consider and why? I currently have a RCBS Rock Chucker and have used one of the Dillon progressive models (not sure of the model...might have been a 550B) any suggestions, likes or dislikes would be appreciated. I will load rifle and pistol.

Thanks,
D Baker

Re: Progressive Reloading Press Recommendations

DB, the 'Search' function will yield tons of info. Use the advanced search, set the date range to 'newer than one year', and use 'progressive press' as your keywords.

Also, try Google. You'll find a lot of info.

Per usual, what you're intending to load will factor into the choice equation. Rifle or handgun, benchrest vs. blasting, blah blah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Baker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I...have used one of the Dillon progressive models (not sure of the model...might have been a 550B).</div></div>
See if you can use a Hornady AP somewhere. That should let you compare them for yourself. I like the Hornady's design. It changes over easily, and more cheaply than the Dillon. Also, it has a better powder system - some have converted the Dillon to use a Hornady powder measure. Take a look.

I am impressed with the Hornady powder system as well.
The thing I like most about the Hornady is the LNL bushings.
While it's not important, it is nice to be able to move the dies to a different position.

I currently use a Redding T-7 as a single stage press for other operations, but I wonder if the LNL bushings would allow movement of dies to thier single stage press without adjustment....for those few times you want to do a single operation.

I have a Dillon 550, 650 and a Hornady. Either will serve you well. Stay away from the Lee.

I like the Dillon 550 as well, but use many products by RCBS, Hornady, LEE and others. Anyone's dies will work in the Dillon. Their customer service is outstanding too.

Thanks for all the input and links. This has been very helpful. Any thoughts on the Dillon dies vs. others? I mostly have RCBS and Redding.

Redding for precision rifle the dillon pistol dies a good.

I use RCBS for my 223 and 22-250 and redding for my 308, 6mmbr, 204. They all seem to load great.

One more vote for Hornady Lock n Load. The only problem is that most everything is out of stock right now.

I have the dillon 550 also. Set up is easy. Production is fast. I really like the ease of caliber change with multiple tool heads. Customer service is awsome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CGM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only problem is that most everything is out of stock right now.</div></div> Yeah I have a old projector progressive press and can't get the primer tubes for it. Maybe someday I will just buy a dillon, I have their super swager 600 and love it.