• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Progressive twist rates...any input?

steelcomp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2009
N/E TN
I'm building a 7mmRM on a Sako m995 action and looking at new barrels. I've been looking into the progressive twist rates that Bartlein offers but there's really no hard data on larger cal. apps, just the smaller bench rest deals who have shown some pretty impressive returns. I'm impressed that Frank @ Bartlein wouldn't try and "sell" me on the idea, either, simply becuase he didn't have any hard info to go on with the 7mag. In theory I like the idea. Lets face it...you don't put a car into high gear when you start out.
Interested in any appreciable results anyone might have.
TIA

Re: Progressive twist rates...any input?

Gain twist has been around a long time, but it just has not caught on. I think the most recent production example is in the Smith & Wesson 460 revolver.

I understand the theory behind it, I just don't think it makes much difference with the velocities and distances involved.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say about it.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with your 7mm mag. And what bullets you plan on shooting. Other than benchrest and F class i dont think you will gain alot.

The shooting industry tends to follow certain trends. Gain twist barrels have been around for a long time. There always 'seems' to be a better mousetrap. An aquaintance of mine, and a bit of an authority on large caliber lathe turned bullets, likes the gain twist barrels because he believes it is easier on the driving bands of the lathe bullets. I believe some military 20mm rounds use gain twist barrels also. I would suggest that unless you plan to shoot lathe turned big bore bullets don't bother with the gain twist barrel. I think barrel manufacturers are offering them because it is the current trend. A lot of records have been set with standard twist barrels. If you feel like trying something new it couldn't hurt, but I don't necessarily think it would give much, if any, advantage.

Thanks for the link fx77, it pretty much summed up what I learned today. Went ahead and ordered one from Bartlein. 1:9.5-1:9, 5R, heavy Varmint profile. Now I wait.