• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Project .223 1 mile Part #1

clayne_b

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Project 1 mile 223!

Yes I know there are better for this that and the other blah blah blah, I wanted to try this so I am

I started with working up a load for my Savage 12 LRPV .223 I have never used Ramshot TAC so it was time to do some load work.

I am using 75gr Hornady BTHP match, TAC powder, New Lapua Brass. .015 off the lands

I neck sized the brass first, looks like the die needs a nip tuck.

Here are 100 neck sized virgin brass

Primed and ready to dump some powder

Now the fun starts, Using the RCBS Charge Master
Look here for more info on that > http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/222006-weighing-scale-test.html <

Powder dumped and ready to go. I will seat bullets at the range to save on components
Loaded 10 of each at

More info here > Ladder testing at 1k- Detailed article and video - Page 3 - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine <

It was cold and had a bit of an on and off again wind.

I had other rounds for sighters, and a 24x24 inch steel set of for that

Shot the ladder test from min to max
Driving down to look at the target after each shot and recording it on a note pad, I could not see the hits.

Loads 4-8 looked promising so I shot each of those as a 3 shot group
All of these numbers are Elevation measurements only. The wind was off and on, So I did not worry about that.

4- 22.3

5- 22.6

6- 22.9

7- 23.2

8- 23.5

At this point loads 7-8 were looking promising, So I drove down to paint a few more dots to aim at.

Set up and put 2 sighters from load 7 & 8 into the steel

At this point I had 4 rounds left from row 7 & 8 left so I let them fly!

Measurements done on elevation spread only

7- 23.2

8- 23.5

Looks like 7- 23.2 is the winner, here is the over all group size center to center

Here is the total round count fired, the rest will be dumped and re measured and loaded at 23.2gr

For those of you wondering about pressures

24.1 - 23.2 - 21.4

Having shot both at 1000+, brother, ditch the BTHP's and use some AMAX's in your endeavor.
If you can't get them I will send you a box since you're clearly dedicated.

Just curious unless I missed it.

Prior to this, what's the farthest hit you have made w/ a .223 to date?

Project 1 mile 223!

Yes I know there are better for this that and the other blah blah blah, I wanted to try this so I am

clayne

100% with you on why you are attempting this; if someone doesn't like it...Who cares?
Btw, glad you like our Mums! These are vastly underappreciated women and they do need special attention ;)
It's all good; have fun in your project, will be checking it out.

Whoa...the lid of the box in the first photo triggered a flashback to the Legos I had as a kid. Lego, Lapua, quality toys for different stages in life :)

LOaded right a 223 can be a jam up little round for target. One mile is a LONNNNNG way away for a 223. Hey, I'm all about pushing things to their limit (And past it). Lets see how yall do!!!

Change the game brother!! LOL

clayne, the fact that you are and have hit a target with a 75grain bullet from a .223 speaks volumes. I know I looked at my .223 like "that's not a mile gun, theres other things better suited" and that just changed. Talk about a challenge man, damn.

That's a smart ladder test method. I'd be worried that the powder would go flying out of the cases as soon as I hit a bump in the road though! Murphy's law has a way of getting me!

How far away was this ladder test done at?

If you have a 7 twist, you might want to consider 80gr VLD's...best of luck.

Here are the "extra" ones, dumped the powder back in the charge master and loaded to 23.2gr

Go right for a mile... or shoot a few groups at 1000 yards first?

ME:How did the 223 do at a mile?

OP: The bullets are still in the air!

ME: OK

OP: I'll let you know in a day or so!

ME: OK

For those of you wondering how I am going to get out there that far with the needed elevation adjustment, I may put this on my rifle

Link > : Home

and my scope has 120 moa of over all elevation, So Im pretty sure I will be able to hold cross hair's on target

Last edited:
clayne_b, at what range do those 75 go below 1200fps?
My .22-243 is pretty impressive nearing 1K with 75Amaxs, but it's burnin' 2x the powder! Thats a huge difference to what you are attempting. Shot a bunch of those 75 BTHPs from a .223 w/ TAC out to 600, but never further...good on ya for the effort!
Would like to see a couple of 1K groups from your load, as a baseline to reference your further attempts to. Maybe consider walking it out beyond 1K in 200yd steps, before going straight for the mile?

Anyhoo, impressive stuff with your .223, will be watching along to see your results. Good luck & have fun!

For those of you wondering how I am going to get out there that far with the needed elevation adjustment, I may put this on my rifle

Link > : Home

and my scope has 120 moa of over all elevation, So Im pretty sure I will be able to hold cross hair's on target

Have you looked at the Barrett rings that adjust? They would give you 40 MOA plus what you have in the scope. Might be close? I'm guessing you are going to need somewhere around 100 MOA without knowing your FPS?

Went out today to do some load work with the 6.5 Creedmoor,

Here are the first 6 shots out of the 223 at 600 yards

I colored the impact points with a marker so they would be easier to see

You definitely have great talent and perseverance. Good luck. Obviously many people here routing for you! I don't think my BODY would function in those shooting conditions, but hey I guess it beats shoveling snow!

Your main problem will be spotting and seeing misses or hits at that distance ? Been there and done that .

This got me curious. So I input the best possible conditions I could into shooter with a 75 hornady g1 at 3,000 fps. Got ya going subsonic at 1640 yards. Everything is in the table. I hope you can pull it off. That'd be very cool indeed

Just waiting for it to dry up so I can try it.

Need dry dirt to spot misses

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Thought you may got it by weather too, experienced same issue testing loads last week at 1000; no spotter and couldn't tell of POI, wet dirt.
Good luck.

In reality.. Well I don't want to say what it predicted because I don't want to put a negative spin on it.