• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Project: Safe door handgun storage for $15 (pics)

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
So I've been thinking about what to do for a while and finally found a cheap and easy way to make use of the safe door to mount my handguns and free-up more interior room inside the safe. Not to mention it looks cool and makes it easier to find and organize my handguns while keeping them from getting scuffed up.

Most storage systems that places sell are EXPENSIVE for what you get. I wasn't going to drop $100 for a 6 gun rack, so I looked around my shop and found an easy way to do this for about $15.

Here is how I did this the cost effective way..

My materials list:
Box of 1 5/8" HD coated decking screws - $6
Pack of 3/8" rubber tubing - $3
12ft of 1" velcro tape - $7
Cutting blade
Sharpie marker
Sissors

dsc0028h.jpg

Steps:

First, I taped off the door where the shelves and divider inside the safe meet the door.

Second, I cut the rubber tubing in pieces about a 1/4 shorter than the screw length. This allows the screw to go in deep enough but also is long enough that the tubing would go over the screw end once fully in.. to keep from the screw end scratching the finishes on the guns.

Third, I held the first gun up to the door and marked where I wanted to put the rubber coated screw mounts (usually behind the grip where the web of your hand goes and tightly against the front of the trigger guard where it meets the barrel.

Fourth, I would put the rubber coated screws in the door and test for fit.

dsc0030fhf.jpg

Fifth, I would wrap a piece of the double sided velcro around the gun, cut it to size and put the gun back up on the screws. I would push the gun tight against the door covering material to set the velcro. I next open the velcro, removed the gun. Then I used pressure with my finger to really set the velcro into the door covering material.

dsc0031aof.jpg

dsc0034zab.jpg

Sixth, I put the gun back into the mount, secured the velcro, gave it a good tug to make sure it was sturdy and moved on to the next.

End Result:

dsc0038pdl.jpg

Give it a shot and have fun!!

Re: Project: Safe door handgun storage for $15 (pics)

If I had more than one pistol, I'd try that!

That's pretty cool. I'd thought about doing something similar but wasn't sure if there was enough 'meat' in the fireproof lining for the screws to grab.

The liner has a 5/8ths gypsum/wonder board backing. You could replace with wood and recover but if you put the screws in slow and don't back them out, they are pretty stout. With the velcro to help support the weight they should last a long time.

good idea man!

You need more long guns. There shouldn't be room for the shelves in your safe.

Good dope on the velcro. I'll have to try it, thanks.

Nice work! A practical way to hang your handguns on your safe door. Thank you.

Nice Job...I did something silmilar with my safe door but My shelves limit what I can put on the back of the door because they hangout too far.

Good idea....I blew $30 on a Cannon rack at academy. It works ok, but they are always flopping around.

People with a high Glock ratio always seem to have ideas like this. Nice.

I've got more than double your collection and have been frustrated too. I tried the shelf racks but am still out of room. It's either your idea or another safe for me.