• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Project time

SQUATCH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
In a Cave
Been contemplating on building a short barrel bolt gun around 18" and instead of buying one outright I am wanting to piece this thing together. Not asking for step by step instructions but if there is a basic guide out there for the small things I will probably overlook (since this is my first build)I would appreciate it. I did some searching around the hide already and found "some" information but just wondering if there is a nice guide available. Also since I have about zero tools and min. experience if someone has a smith around southern Iowa area that they know of that would be great.

And just for further information I want it in .308. This isn't going to be some comp rig but rather paper puncher and maybe medium range hunting rig and want to keep the expense down but not some piece of shit. Hard to explain. I guess just basic suggestions or guide to starting points like action, then stock, or best method of selection of pieces or starting focus.

Re: Project time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What caliber? Action?</div></div>

.308 and action is open to debate until I can get further details when i have some reading time and cost analysis as I know there is damn expensive ones. Probably REM as that looks to be quite popular and people are happy with it and the cost is definitely not out of bounds.

Go to Wally world, buy the cheapest rem 700 that has a 473 bolt face, throw barrel, stock, trigger away (or sell for cheap) then start your build. Another option is a Savage, your call depending on machining you can do or want done.

Go with a savage action. Get a criterian (sp) barrel from northland shooter supply (button riffled made by kreiger), a go gauge and put it together yourself. No waiting on a gunsmith to put it together for you. You can slap it in to a B&C stock and be done with it. You can also have the muzzle threaded 5/8x24 for a brake.

Both x ring and goin hot definitely appreciate the input. Need all I can get. Yeah I am seeing good things on both rem and savage side of things. Piecing it together myself seems interesting as I stated earlier I don't want to mess anything up but if it is as easy as you stated Goin' then sounds like I just maybe able to.

Well finally think I came up with a rifle I can afford to piece together and still be a solid shooter. Going with a Criterion from Northland Shooters Supply in .308 18" with 1:10. Savage 110 action. B&C stock. Not sure on the trigger yet as I might not be sold on the accutrigger but for costs right away it might just have to do and maybe I will get used to it. Again i appreciate all the help through this post and also through chat. Thanks again Hide.