• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prometheus II

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl
Now that I have a little time on my hands I spent some quality time setting up the Prometheus II. Everything went off without a hitch. I started off with 54.6 grs. H4831SC for a .284 Winchester with CCI BR2 primers and 180 gr. Bergers. Seating lengths vary by .010 to see if I can find the sweet spot. I am quite impressed by the speed with which it weighs a powder charge. Just using the "one, one thousand, two, one thousand" method must charges were weighed in 7 seconds. Some took as long as 9 seconds. Charging cases with powder is now a non-event. Needless to say I'm impressed and happy with my new toy.
Semper Fi

Re: Prometheus II

I am sure you will continue to be. Great tool.
RTH

I have a Gen 1, I can do a charge about every 20 seconds, now I want a Gen 2, there fast, real fast, and so drop dead accurite and repeatable, maybe someday everyone will understand, congrats 95LTZ.

I've been curious for a while now, how long does it take to change the target charge weight? How often does it throw an over-charge?

Set the scale and tweak the RCBS powder thrower. It took me about ten minutes to set it up to throw 41.5 H4350. Mine hasn't overthrown a single charge. You set it up to just rest on the scale pad and let the trickler take over. Little tweak and I'm at about 7 seconds also. You'll never have remorse if you get one.LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often does it throw an over-charge?

</div></div>

Please quantify what you define as a over-charge.

Rat,

I have had a charge go heavy every now and then, probably one charge out of 200 or so. And when I say "go heavy" that would be by one or two kernels of powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often does it throw an over-charge?

</div></div>

Please quantify what you define as a over-charge.</div></div>

With the Chargemaster about 1 in 10-15 charges the trickler will spill 0.1-0.2gr over the target charge. You either have to manually tap out the extra powder and re-weigh/trickle-up or dump the charge back into the hopper and try again. Since the Prometheus also works based off of a power actuated trickler I was wondering if this was still a problem.

ETA: Doesn't sound like it is, though.

You effer's need to stop rubbing it in. Next we'll be shown Bolt laying amongst 5-6 of them.

The way the trickler is set up it would only be able to "overthrow" at a maximum of 2 kernels of powder. It almost makes one think it would be nice to be able to by powder in 1/2 & 1/4 kernel batches. I know, I know but it is nice to let the mind wander.
As far as the time it takes to change charge settings. Like was stated before 5-10 minutes. Slide the main poise to the desired number. Adjust the RCBS to throw close to the desired charge weight, then double check the charge weight on a trusted scale adjust the thumbwheel to fine tune and have at it.
Semper Fi

Mine arrives Friday. Now to figure out how to survive with just one kidney. :)

On another note, someone is going to get a Gen I as soon as I decide to actually part with it....which may or may not actually happen....we shall see.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine arrives Friday. Now to figure out how to survive with just one kidney. :)

On another note, someone is going to get a Gen I as soon as I decide to actually part with it....which may or may not actually happen....we shall see.

John </div></div>

Now you are just taunting people.....

I've been trying to talk Brand into making a falling block kernal chopper calibrated in 1/10th kernal units. Not getting a lot of encouragement yet.

A proper FBKC (falling block Kernel chopper)just may be the next "secret weapon" in reloading.

You guys are crazy. You do realize that by cutting kernals, you are changing the burn rate... whatever consistency you gain from cutting kernals to drop a consistent weight, you lose by dropping inconsistently sized kernals.

This is the problem with having a machine that weighs to less than a kernal... people get wrapped around the axle about less than a kernal.

Why would he do that after he mods the thrower to keep it from cutting kernels??

Better yet get 2, do the reprogramming and the straws, and you won't be able to keep up with the throws. Talk about speed loading..........

Hey 95LTZ, how long did it take for you to set up the Prometheus? Anything I should know before tearing into the boxes later this afternoon?

Chiller, I know, but you know what was worse? My staff calling to see the Prometheus showed up on Friday and I was on my way to Camp Lejeune to shoot! I have to wait till tonight to put it together. :)

John

Mudcat, I had the advantage of picking mine up in person but can tell you it comes with very detailed instructions. LOL. It should take no more than ten minutes to mount, assemble, and zero the scale. From there another ten minutes and you will be loading ammo at a very high rate of speed. My advice would be to have a bunch of brass prepped ahead of time!!!!LOL

Well, luckily I had a bunch of brass prep'd as I set it up this evening, talked to Brand for a bit and then proceeded to load 200 rounds of 6XC for this weekends midrange state championship. I also realized my MXX123 scale isnt quite as accurate as I thought!!

Still working on getting the powder dropper to get closer to the charge weight but still only takes about 10 seconds or so to run a charge and at most, its ONE kernal of powder off and thats due to 2 kernals going into the trickler slots upright rather than lying down where only one can drop at a time. I think I see a fix to that issue.

And yeah, my Gen I is up for sale as I doubt I will ever use it again! Got a guy coming over tomorrow that may buy it, but if not I will be posting it in the for sale section.

John

Well, I woke up this morning, walked out into the garage and lo and behold, there was a Prometheus Gen II sitting on my bench!! I wasnt dreaming!!!!!:)

Now to just get thru the day here at work and go home and load say 500 rounds of Palma ammo...or maybe I will go ahead and load 200 rounds of 6.5x284 for the long range regional weekend after next. Nice to know I can do all of that in one night if I want now.

LTZ, Cobra, etc...think we need to start a Prometheus Gen II addicts anonymous club or something?
smile.gif

John

I have a Prometheus call it 1.5, I put a baffel in the powder hopper which I think made my drops more consistant. I belive I have a pdf of templates to make out of Alum. roof flashing, if you are interested PM me with a email address to send it to.

BTW, one other comment on the Prometheus..and well, its inventor/creator, Brand. I first talked to Brand years ago, like say 5 or more, when I got a Gen 1 and he helped me with it even though I bought it used so the guy didnt have to waste his time talking to me if he didnt want to do so, but he did and didnt make any money off it either. When I got the Gen II this week, he had already called me after it was delivered before I had a chance to open it. He also helped me with set up last night and just called again to see how things went as I was so enamored with the machine...er, no, instrument, I think is a better term, last night that by the time I realized I needed to call him, it was pretty late. So I talked to him this morning when he called and filled him in on my experience with it last night.

Dont know too many folks, companies, sales guys, etc that will do that. I have never met Brand in person, but hopefully will some day, but I can tell you this, he must be a frickin genius cause the Gen II is wonderfully simple in one way, but unbelievably complex and precise in another. Amazing...

Its not something for everyone, and its price, well, I guess if you can afford a GAP rifle, you can afford the Gen II. Its also something not needed by your average shooter/plinker/etc. But if you want perfect charges for your ammo cause you shoot long range, need to shoot great vertical, or you just want the confidence of knowing every charge is nuts on and you want to do the loading in a LOT less time than normal, then its for you.

Brand, if you lurk here, here's a big thanks to ya man! You just made my life at the loading bench a lot more tolerable and the only negative is that if I drop a shot to elevation at 1,000, I know it was me now and cant blame the ammo! :)

John

I have met Brand in person and have the same high opinion of him. He also called me to check up on my progress as well. He is quite a nice person to do business with.
BTW, I think everyone was joking about the kernal chopper, I know I was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brand, if you lurk here
</div></div>

he lurks

Mine has a kick-ass stand made of airplane metal.

3a2904d3.jpg

Capt Kick A$$!! Does having a Charge Master that close to it decrease its Accuracy? LOL

Terry

I have to give the CM something to look up to.