• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prometheus Powder Thrower…. Questions and thoughts…

category_theory

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2020
SF Bay Area
So I’ve watched a few videos of folks using these guys and I’ve always wondered how they worked / operated. I read a bit about them on the website too but my ultimate question is given the advent of much more sophisticated systems what’s the upside of these if any… they also don’t seem to be massed produced in anyway and only for lease which feels like a pretty poor business model. Anyway, does anyone still use them and if so what are your thoughts how they stack up?

Believe it's still the best powder measure. Could be wrong! I know there are other items out there that are good. Maybe someone that has one. Will chime in, and elaborate on it.

Believe accuracy. Don't have have one. I know a few people, that if they had the chance to get one they wouldn't hesitate.
Ok so im not trying to be mean but I hate it when people say shit like that. What does that even mean, “believe accuracy?” The accuracy of the balance would need to be verified w a known weight and certified to a certain level of tolerance. That tolerance and resolution / sensitivity of the balance is what I want to know. And ultimately how does it stand up to a more modern lab grade balances. In a lab we use the same balances as the reloading community not physical beam balances like the one used in the Prometheus.

Reactions: spife7980
1701775253417.png

Reactions: ShootnFool8
Ok so im not trying to be mean but I hate it when people say shit like that. What does that even mean, “believe accuracy?” The accuracy of the balance would need to be verified w a known weight and certified to a certain level of tolerance. That tolerance and resolution / sensitivity of the balance is what I want to know. And ultimately how does it stand up to a more modern lab grade balances. In a lab we use the same balances as the reloading community not physical beam balances like the one used in the Prometheus.
Accuracy it is! Like I said I don't have one. Thanks @Haney for that.

Reactions: Haney
The only real thing you gain over other systems is not having to handle a cup. As well its it's very fast when setup properly. For most people, this likely won't matter. For high volume loaders, it's a fairly big deal.

Bran has stated publicly if Fx120 systems were around at the time, he likely wouldn't have built the Prometheus.

So, if you like splurging or you can benefit from the speed/no cup handling, it's g2g. If not, you won't notice a performance difference in ammo from an Fx120 scale or similar.

The lease is essentially a purchase as far as he's not going to go around snatching units back. It's just a pain if you want to recoup part of your money. As you'll need to buy out the lease, and likely only be able to sell it for what a lease would cost someone. So, you basically get about 50-60% of your investment back if you buy out the lease and sell it.

Too much $$$ too complicated lease/ownership, too dated technology, and when Brand Cole goes tits up or his mind goes the way of Sleepy Joe Biden, you're stuck with an unserviceable $3000 hunk of backyard engineering.

I wouldn’t say it measures a pre-set/calibrated charge any faster than an Autotrickler with ingenuity precision upgrades. It CAN, and sometimes DOES, but generally I’d say they’re about the same on average to get a 30 grain charge weight. That’s just for the charge though, if you have it mounted above a Dillon 550 it is quicker overall to get it in the case than an Autotrickler.

It’s a gram balance scale, so it doesn’t do, say, “+/- .02 grains.” That said, you can absolutely, positively differentiate one kernel of varget. If it happens to stop trickling before reaching your desired charge, you push a button and it trickles one kernel. The reason it stopped short was because the charge it weighed was the weight equivalent of less than one kernel (weight of varget at least) from the weight you set it for, if it trickled one more it would be over the weight.

It’s a pain in the ass to set up or change weights or powders to me. But once it is set up, yes, the process is faster for me because mine dumps into a Dillon powder funnel. On a 550c, station one has a mandrel, station two the powder die (where the Prometheus dumps), station 3 is Mr. Bullet Feeder bullet drop die, and station 4 is the seating die. I preprime cases either on an automated 750 or 1050.

So, yeah, it has a place. It makes reloading more enjoyable for me when I’m doing a bunch of cases. If I’m doing 20 rounds of some charge weight not set up on the Prometheus, my position is the Autotrickler setup is easier to get set up and go for that kind of session. There may come a time really soon when a further development of an existing system (looking at you @Ingenuity1) can sit on top of a progressive press and improve on what the Prometheus is doing now; but really there isn’t anything other than some Frankenstein shit that can attempt to match what Prometheus is doing NOW in this particular configuration.

I don’t want to take anything away from the Prometheus. It is a phenomenal tool. Fantastic engineering and manufacturing.

Last edited:
Reactions: secondofangle2
Too much $$$ too complicated lease/ownership, too dated technology, and when Brand Cole goes tits up or his mind goes the way of Sleepy Joe Biden, you're stuck with an unserviceable $3000 hunk of backyard engineering.

Not all units are leased. I own mine and have a bill of sale saying so.

Reactions: RegionRat
I also think that there Is a list of all serial numbers that are owned on his site if I remember correctly.

There used to be for sure, I know mine was on the list but I haven’t been there in a while to know if he is updating it.

Reactions: Jrb572
I forgot about the Ingenuity. That's the only system IMO that can match the speed of properly set up Prometheus. So, yea, basically you're just getting the ability to not handle a cup. Which may or may not be worth it to you.

The point about it dying with him and such can't be overlooked. Unless he sells the design or company to someone willing to sell or service them, it's basically a brick if it breaks. Unless you are capable of fixing it yourself.

I have not been able to, and have not seen anyone else show a statistically significant difference in ammo between a Prometheus and other higher end systems.

I have not been able to, and have not seen anyone else show a statistically significant difference in ammo between a Prometheus and other higher end systems.

This is kind of a “duh” statement. The powder charge is one variable among many. Other devices can measure a powder charge to a kernel or close, +/- .02 grain or even more precise but unnecessary with extruded powders. So if every variable is the same except the weighing device, and those devices are capable of equal precision, no one should expect “a statistically significant difference”. Common sense prevails here.

Reactions: category_theory