• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Prone-capable stock for Mauser 98

jthyttin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
Finland
I have a commercial large ring Mauser 98 (sporter barrel) I'm going to re-stock. I have quite good understanding of what's avail, but I'm looking for some options I may have missed.

Strictly speaking I don't have a budget, but I'd like to see the stock costing closer to $100 than $500, at least if it needs trimming, bedding etc. I'd also like that the stock is at least semi-inletted.

The gun is chambered in 9.3x62 (basically 30-06 necked up to .366"), and is purely a hunting piece. However, I'd like to be able to shoot accurately and consistently up to few hundred yards.

The longer shots would be taken in mostly prone position. Main qualities in a stock, that I find conducive to consistent accuracy are:

- a pistol grip which is more vertical than in traditional hunting stocks
- comb which is parallel to bore (or at least close)

I don't like the Monte Carlo drop (they move the recoil pad away from your shoulder in prone position), or a cheek piece in any other way either. I'd like the stock to be ambidextrous and snag-free (no butt hooks). I find thumbhole stocks hard to use from some shooting positions.

I've looked at etc. Hogue Overmolded, Boyd's JSR Classic, Bell&Carlson Varmint/Tactical. My main concern with these is the pistol grip angle. It seems a bit steeper than most hunting stocks, but I don't have access to one for trying it out. I'd appreciate any experience from folks who've used these or similar for prone shooting (preferably for more than a few shots at a time).

The various hunting style offerings from e.g. McMillan and Manners have either Monte Carlo drop or very pronounced (integral) cheekpiece. So far McMillan A3 and Manners T2 seem to be the best options, but in addition to the cost they do add a fair bit of bulk at the butt.

So let's hear it, even though I listed a lot of likes and dislikes, I'm open to suggestions. Basically what I need is a hunting stock, that's more suitable for prone position than usual offerings.